Style > Beauty

Missed Beauty Regimens That Could Be Damaging Your Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Let’s face it, beauty regimens are necessary to our wellbeing. Some can be downright crazy, but there are four core ones that we tend to forget in the midst of our busy schedules. Missing these could end up damaging our health in the long run and create skin problems that could have been avoided.

Take note and be sure to complete each either in the morning or night (or both!) and create a routine. You’ll be thankful in ten years!

1. Forgetting to moisturize. Any wise woman will tell us collegiattes, “moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!” This is the key to avoiding wrinkles as we age, as well as keeping our skin’s elasticity in tact. Eric Neher, from BirchBox, says, “Skin cells in this condition can rapidly repair themselves and turnover fresh cells, which means huge anti-aging benefits down the road.” If we start taking care of our skin now, it will definitely pay off in the long run.

2. Going without washing your face. Unfortunately, we are ALL guilty of this missed routine. When we forget to wash our face, we allow our makeup and the day’s bacteria and germs to further absorb into our skin. This not only is a huge opportunity for breakouts, but it is also damaging to our skin because we’re clogging our pores. Here is a guide on how to properly wash your face for the optimum results!

1. Not using a face cream. Our face might look amazing right now, but that isn’t guaranteed as we age. Along with moisturizing, investing in a good face cream is something that we should all do. Moisturizing is great for our body, but our face is very gentle and should be treated with care. Facial cream is intended for your face so they have specific ingredients that brighten and tighten your skin. Benefit carries a great cream for only $40. (http://www.birchbox.com/shop/benefit-facial-cream) Remember, a little goes a long way on your face so a small dallop will cover your entire face!

2. Not changing out your old makeup. As college students, we use anything until it is not useable any longer in order to save money. This can be harmful when it comes to our daily makeup and makeup brushes. If you don’t regularly clean your brushes, then they are carrying bacteria on them and can re-apply it to our face every time we use them. This could factor into why you can’t get those breakouts to stop. The same goes for makeup. If you’ve had a product for more than a year, it might be a good idea to throw it out. Sephora has a great guide to check when your makeup might be ready to toss out.

Taking care of our health now will pay off in the long run. Be sure to remember each of these regimens and get in the habit of doing them each morning or night! 

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_