Maddie Stilwell, Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Maddie Stilwell

Major: Human Resource Management

Hometown: Apex, NC

HC: Tell us about the nonprofit organization you’re currently working with.

MS: The nonprofit that I am currently working with is Global Education Ministries (GEM). GEM is a faith-based organization that serves to provide quality education to children without access otherwise. As of now, they have one school planted in Puerto Escondido, Mexico where they are able to reach children through their volunteer teachers and sponsors.

HC: How did you get involved?

MS: As a student minoring in Nonprofit Management and Leadership, I am required to complete a number of hours serving a nonprofit in the area. It just so happened that I learned about the organization through GEM’s Sponsorship Coordinator, who I met in a coffee shop (crazy, I know). After speaking with her about the mission of the nonprofit and their purpose, I was eager to help make a difference. 

HC: What work have you done with them so far?

MS: Thus far, I have assisted the Sponsorship Coordinator in executing a golf tournament fundraiser. She and I met several times in the weeks leading up to the tournament, and I was able to assist her in the planning of the fundraiser, as well as helping out on the event day. The golf tournament was an awesome way to raise awareness and money for GEM.

HC: What has been the best moment so far in working with GEM?

MS: As I continue my college career, I have become increasingly interested in the nonprofit sector and have grown a greater desire for making a global difference. It has been an incredible opportunity to learn more about the organization and understand the mechanics from a close-up perspective. One of the best moments while helping out with GEM was seeing the number of people that showed up to the golf tournament to support the organization. Having this opportunity has been so beneficial to me in the way that it allows me to learn more about the functions of a nonprofit organization while also making a global difference.

Photo courtesy of Maddie Stilwell.

Gabriella is a twenty-something Floridian who has taken her love of waterfront living and sandy toes to Wilmington, NC! When she's not imprinting her body frame on the beach or stocking up on excessive jars of peanut butter, Gabriella can be found in the lines of Dunkin Donuts scrolling through Pinterest in the search of the perfect apartment decor. Her dream profession is to work for a women's magazine with an emphasis on millennial empowerment. Follow her on Twitter, @gabby_dionisio!