Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

“Love Don’t Cost a Thing”: How to Do Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Valentine’s Day is finally around the corner! If the words I’ve just said sparked a fight or flight reaction, let me be the one to help you see this holiday in a different light. Whether you and your significant other are separated due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) or you just think V-Day was a holiday invented by Hallmark to sell more cards, here’s a list of things that you can do to celebrate love the free way– whether you’re single, dating or “it’s complicated.”

black couple smiling in bed
Photo by Shingi Rice from Unsplash

If you’re in a relationship

If you’re in a relationship this Valentine’s Day, here are some things that you could do together to celebrate! These can either be done in-person or over Facetime, whichever is best for you.

Cook a meal together

Lookup a recipe that you both like and spend the night cooking together in the kitchen! If you like to minimize foot traffic in the kitchen, have one of you take dinner and the other take dessert. After you’re done, sit down to a romantic dinner of your choice and take time to appreciate your person.

man and woman cooking
Photo by Soroush Karimi from Unsplash

Play a game together

For the competitive couple, playing a game together on Valentine’s Day is a great way to celebrate. Either grab a board game or turn on the Nintendo Switch and try to beat each other at Mario Kart! Or, play together against another team and show off just how well you two work together!

Write a poem or draw them something sweet

For the artists, tell your significant other just how much they mean to you through your art! It doesn’t cost a thing to speak from the heart and a thoughtful poem, or a drawing you know they’d love, would be such a special gift. If you write music, try writing a song inspired by your partner or learn one of their favorite songs and play it for them!

Watch a movie together

For the couple that loves staying in, watch a movie together– or have a movie marathon! Grab all of your favorite snacks and drinks, curl up on the couch with a ton of blankets and turn on all of your favorite movies. Spend the night cuddled on the couch, appreciating each other’s company and great taste in movies. 

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Have a picnic

For the couple that likes cold weather, plan a picnic! Make sandwiches and little sides, grab a few warm blankets and make sure to wear your coats if it’s cold outside. If it’s not too cold, you can stay out there for a while, relaxing in nature together and enjoying the fresh air. 

Plan an elaborate date for when you can afford it

If your budget is a little tight right now (college, am I right?), come up with a plan for the two of you once you have more financial freedom. Come up with fun date ideas, things you’ve always wanted to do together, or even beautiful getaways to somewhere you’ve always wanted to go. It’ll be fun to come up with elaborate date ideas to save up for together!

Make a playlist for the other person

If you’re better at speaking through music, let your partner know how much you love and appreciate them with a playlist made just for them! Add any song that makes you think of them, their favorite song, that one song that plays every time you’re in the car together and those songs that seem to know exactly how you feel about your partner. They’ll love it.

woman smiling at reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

If you’re single

If you’re single this Valentine’s Day, you’re in luck! Here is a list of things you can do to celebrate yourself and what you love.

Wine and dine yourself

Either cook your favorite meal or (less budget-friendly) order delivery from your favorite place! Today is a day to focus on your favorite things while celebrating the most important relationship you’ll ever have: you! Valentine’s Day is all about love, and self-love is right at the top of the list of priorities for this holiday. Really enjoy your dinner and appreciate just how amazing you are!

Joel Papalini

Watch a movie

Put on your favorite comfort movie or TV show (mine is always “New Girl” or “Bridgerton”) and curl up on the couch with a blanket! You’ll be totally in charge of the remote all night and you can watch all of your favorites. If you want company, FaceTime a friend and have them watch something with you!

Call your friends

Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate love and to remind the people in your life that you love them. Call your friends, your parents, your siblings– everyone you love! Make sure they know they’re appreciated and that you love them. The best thing you can do to make sure that you feel good today is to share the love. 

Take a really nice shower or bath

There’s nothing better than a nice, long shower or bath after a long day of treating yourself! Let the warm water relax you, and take the time to really take care of your body. Put on some music, maybe light a candle or turn on some colored lights and just enjoy the night. If you’re in the bath, you can use a bath bomb and watch the colors change in the water… So relaxing!

Self-care
Photo by Maddi Bazzocco from Unsplash

Do something you love

Has it been a while since you’ve done something you really love? Use today as an opportunity to get back into it! Put on a record, do yoga, read a book, pick up your guitar again… anything! Take today to remind yourself of your hobbies. You can even find a new one or try something that you’ve always been interested in!

A couple standing in a brightly lit apartment drinking coffee. There is a table of fruit in front of them and they are in front of a window.
Photo by Jack Sparrow from Pexels

If it’s new/complicated

If it’s new, complicated or you just haven’t been able to DTR, I’ve got you covered. 

Spend today getting to know each other more! 

If you’re interested in the person you’re seeing, this day doesn’t have to mean anything more than what it is: an opportunity for you to spend more time with someone you like. Play trivia, ask them questions about their interests, talk about the best and worst Valentine’s Days you’ve ever had. There doesn’t need to be any pressure, and you can just focus on spending time together.

couple on a hike
Photo by Sanaan Mazhar from Pexels

I hope these ideas are helpful! In the midst of all the never-ending zoom classes and the mountains of homework, let’s make sure to share a lot of love this February. 

Maddy Tamms is a member of the UNCW class of 2022. She enjoys movies, art, and traveling! When she isn't writing, Maddy is probably rewatching New Girl, Tangled, or Bridgerton.