Justin Parr, President of the UNCW Surf Club

Name: Justin Parr

Major: International Business with a Spanish minor

Year: Senior

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

Justin Parr is the current President of the UNCW Surf Club. Founded in 1977, this club has gained a huge regional and national presence in recent years. Read on to learn more about UNCW's Surf Club and to find out about their upcoming competitions!

HC: How long have you been surfing?

JP: Since I was around 14, so seven years now.

HC: For those that have not heard of the UNCW Surf Club, can you explain what it is?

JP: UNCW Surf Club is a means for students who love the ocean and surfing to network and open up possibilities for new people to surf with each other.

HC: What prompted you to join UNCW's Surf Club? 

JP: To meet new people to surf with.

HC: How many competitions has the Surf Club won?

JP: Since the 1977 establishment of the club, it has won many competitions, most notably regional wins in 2008 and 2013 and a 5th place national finish in 2013.

HC: How are competitions scored?

JP: A competition is either between two or four people, with a max of 10 waves per person.  The top two waves count toward your score and the highest score wins. In a four man heat, normally the top two advance.

HC: Is UNCW's Surf Club currently involved in any competitions? Or do you have any special events going on?

JP: For the current semester, we're involved in a nationwide film contest put on by Redbull, and in the spring we'll compete in an actual regional surfing competition in Florida.

HC: Where is the coolest place you've ever surfed?

JP: El Salvador

HC: In your opinion, what is the best brand of surfboard to buy? Why?

JP: There are tons of factors that go into buying a surfboard and there are different boards that can cater to different users. The shape matters more than the brand.

HC: Being honest, have you ever skipped a class to go surfing?

JP: Yes, I try to limit my skips though.

HC: Are you more of a Johnny Tsunami? Or Nani Pelekai (Lilo & Stitch)?

JP: I'm not familiar with Nani Pelekai, so I guess Johnny Tsunami.

HC: Anything else you'd like to add?

JP: Google Red Bull Bracket Reel and vote for UNCW Surf Club!