This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Jacob Naylor 

Major: Sociology and Criminology 

Year: Senior 

Hometown: Greensboro, NC  

HC: Tell us a little bit about UNCW’s newest fraternity, Alpha Sigma Phi! 

JN: Alpha Sigma Phi is the nation’s 10th oldest collegiate mens fraternity founded at Yale University in 1845 under the values of Silence, Purity, Honor, and Patriotism. They are internationally renowned as a Gentlemen’s Fraternity on the 140 campuses they call home within the United States, Canada, and Scotland. They have over 70,000 alumni who include highly distinguished businessmen, such as Warren Buffet, making their focus on leadership and career success a priority. 

HC: Why did you decide to become a founding father? 

JN: I decided to become a founder because I saw it as an opportunity to not only grow myself but to help an organization that could do great things grow as well.

HC: What are you most looking forward to as a founding father? 

JN: I wish to leave a precedent that is great and also long-lasting. This is a real opportunity for all of the founding fathers to do the same and I have no doubt they will. Being a founding father means you are responsible for setting a precedent, but this also gives you the privilege of setting precedents. You have the opportunity to put in place a good set of moral and ethics which can last throughout the years. As founding fathers, we get to decide what we stand for. 

HC: Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to pledge? 

JN: As for any other people that are seeking out Greek life, do not be afraid to check it out. Many people think they “aren’t the right fit” or “too old” or “it isn’t for them.” Since Alpha Sigma Phi is just breaking ground at UNCW, individuals are able to come in and create the fraternity of their choice. This is the opportunity to lay the foundation for years to come. We make sure to provide a home for individuals and assist them with their needs. 

Photo courtesy of Jacob Naylor.

5 feet of sass, ambition, wine, and coffee. Mostly coffee.