Important Things I’ve Learned Transferring to UNCW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

I transferred to UNCW two years ago from a community college in Maryland (it’s a good one, I actually learned things). I knew one person who went to UNCW before transferring here, so it was pretty much a new start, or if you’re as much of an Arrested Development fan as I am, Anus Tart. I had lived in Annapolis for 21 years, so I had built a pretty solid friend group, and a phenomenal security blanket. When I finally decided to Kelly Clarkson spread my wings and learn how to fly, I was scared sh*tless. 400 miles away from everything I was used to. Over the last two years at UNCW, let me tell you the most important things I’ve learned*.

* Number 8 wasn’t learned but it needed to be said.

1.     Sweet baby Jesus, mom and dad, you did so much for me.

2.     I had the mindset when I started school here that most people would already have their friend groups set in stone, like a reservation at a fine dining establishment, Chili’s, there’s only room for four. Wrong. People are always looking for new friends. Especially at UNCW, people are friendly as f*ck.

3.     When I first transferred, I was counting down the minutes until I got to home for a break. Eventually, that feeling will go away.

4.     You will outgrow people. Friends, manfriends (or ladyfriends, whatever you’re into). Sometimes they will outgrow you. Do not take it personally, and do not try and fight it. There’s a reason for it. Remember the saying if you love something, set it free? Well if it returns, call it by the wrong name to set it straight.

5.     It takes about 2.5 months for beach water to not taste like Neptune’s blowhole.

6.     There is a special place in hell reserved for UNCW parking.

7.     If there are things that you didn’t like about yourself before you transferred, now is the time to change them.

8.     There’s a time and place to call your dad ‘daddy,’ and it’s when you were five years old. It’s 100% not okay in college, it’s really shady and I don’t like it at all.

9.     Join groups or organizations of things you’re interested in. It’s a great way to meet people.

10. 1 multivitamin + 3 Advil + half of a glacier freeze Gatorade (if you like any other kind of Gatorade you’re a monster) = a substantially less traumatic hangover.