I Tried It: The Black Face Mask

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Recently, videos of the blackhead facemask have been sweeping social media, known for being extremely painful to take off. The first video to spark this trend was a girl who left her facemask on too long (about an hour) and records her reaction when painfully peeling it off. Many girls have followed with the same reaction, but it can’t be that bad, can it?

Like every other human being, I have blackheads and always find myself trying to get rid of the pesky things. I have tried pretty much every blackhead remover product with zero results, so of course, I had to add this to my collection. Next thing I knew, I was searching Amazon for the best-reviewed blackhead facemask and placed my order. I ended up purchasing “Suction Black Mask” by Cidbest, which had a four-star rating on Amazon for only $12.99. 

Photo Courtesy of Taylor Maloch

Now let me start by saying I was 100 percent sure this thing was going to work. If these girls were in that much pain it should work, beauty is pain, right? Needless to say, I had high hopes. The first time I tried it I was so excited to see the results that I did not completely follow the directions (I’m more of a “figure it out” kind of girl). I applied the face mask on my nose and chin, waited the appropriate amount of time and peeled off the mask to see my results. 

One microscopic dot. 

Giving this product the benefit of the doubt, I did not actually allow my pores to open as much as they should, so I tried again. I tried this product after I got out of the shower (when your pores are most open) I applied a hot washcloth to my face, I waited longer before peeling the mask off, and I pretty much get the same results every time. I will admit, it does leave your skin feeling soft (because it pulls off all the hairs on the face) but blackhead wise, this specific product is slack. When it comes to pain it actually does not hurt at all, the only place that is slightly painful is around the tip of the nose, but the pain is equivalent to a Band-Aid. My sister also tried the face mask and had tears running down her face afterward, but she said it was not as bad as the girls in the video make it out to be. We might just have a high pain tolerance, who knows.  

Save your money and skip out on this trend, it was fun to experiment but does not have worthy results. 

[Photos Courtesy to amazon and letsdeal.now]

Most likely at Target and/or drinking sweet tea. Senior from Apex, North Carolina. Co-Campus Correspondent for the UNCW chapter, Contact me with any comments or questions!