How to Procrastinate Productively

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Everybody procrastinates sometimes. It helps some people—those of us who are motivated by a time crunch—but can hurt others. Regardless of its effects, it happens. Here are a few things you can do to procrastinate productively. 

Do your laundry

This guarantees you a study break if you are already working. On your first break, separate your laundry and throw it in the wash. Set your timer for as long as a wash cycle takes, work for that amount of time and then take another break to go transfer the load into the dryer. 

Watch a TED Talk 

Keep these short, in the 10-15 minute category. You can watch a talk about anything from nuclear advances to sign language to discovering true happiness. I have found that watching something as far from the subject I’m supposed to be working on is the most helpful (so if I am working on calculus, I am watching that talk about finding happiness…because calc is depressing). Expand your mind while you procrastinate! 

Pro-mask-inate

Put a face mask on and let yourself do absolutely nothing for the time that the package suggests leaving the mask on. This usually happens to me when I use a sheet mask anyway since my face is shaped weird and sheet masks always slide off of it unless I stay still. 

Clean off your desk

You can’t work on a dirty desk, right? Remove everything from your desktop, wipe it down, and put everything back neatly. I would not recommend going into organizing your drawers on a study break—those can be seriously time-consuming. This is probably exactly what you want, but not what you need! 

Scream into your pillow 

Not entirely productive, but sometimes good for your health. No judgment. 

[All photos, including thumbnail, courtesy of Pexels.com]

Olivia is a senior at UNCW, majoring in Creative Writing. She enjoys color coding all things possible and hanging string lights year-round.