This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Growing up with big, frizzy, untameable curls was always a challenge. The rest of my family had straight hair and the easiest solution for my mother was brushing it out and putting it into a slick high pony for most of my elementary and middle school years. I straightened it whenever I could, creating a completely puffy but straight mess that I would then wear until the curls came back naturally. 

As a child and young girl, I refused to wear hair product. I dreamed up scenarios where all the chemicals in gel or mousse would coalesce in my curls, creating a gooey monster that would consume me whole. Obviously, that was silly. However, some chemicals are bad for curly hair. No, I’m not saying that shampoo or conditioner that you buy at Walmart is going to destroy your hair or even that you only need to buy salon quality products. I just mean that some products contain certain chemicals that ruin the lifespan of a person’s curls. 

Curly hair is different from straight hair. It needs different things and is always going to be a labor of love. Like most, every head of hair is different. Some need more moisture, others need more protein. Figuring out your hair types, curl types, and porosity (moisture absorbency levels) can be difficult and stressful at first. It took a lot of trial and error in order to get to where I am today and I still have more learning to do. 

How did I get here? What do I do? 

Firstly, I strictly follow the Curly Girl Method. Curly Girl is a technique created by Lorraine Massey that has transformed my life and the lives of millions of curly haired people. It consists of no heat and only using “approved” products that contain no sillicons, parabens, mineral oils and sulfates. You’d be surprised how many of the products in the stores contain exactly those chemicals. I’ve seen individuals with zero curl in their hair patterns with time develop tight ringlets. Years of shampooing when we don’t need to and putting waxes and oils on our hair that destroys the follicle and pattern without knowing it needs time to be reversed. 

So, how much do I spend on my hair? Well, it’s not cheap, but it’s not astronomical either. I get most of my products at Target or Walmart. I spend around $60 or less every 1-2 months. I only usually have to buy my most expensive products every 2 months or so, as my co-wash and conditioner lasts a while. 

Shampoo? No, I don’t know her. 

I use the As I Am Coconut Cowash. I cowash once a week and use a scalp scrubbing brush to really get the product buildup off my scalp. If you’re no longer using shampoos, then it’s important to scrub hard as most low-poos and cowashing don’t have all the cleansing agents shampoos do. You don’t have to shampoo your hair every day but if once a week is too much of a leap for you, then try twice a week or even every other day. 

Conditioner? 

I fluctuate between the pink Not Your Mother’s Naturals conditioner and the color safe (for my color treated hair) pink Love, Beauty, and Planet conditioner.The NYMN is said to be the thickest in the product line but it works well for my curl type. I conditioner in the shower and using a fine tooth comb, I run it through my curls. This is the only time I ever take a comb or a brush to my hair. 

Products? 

When my hair is still wet, I style and shape it. If I don’t and I let it air dry it looks like this: 

I use the Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in conditioner sometimes. I alternate that with the Carol’s Daughter Curl Hair Milk. It’s important to give curly hair as much moisture as it needs. To style my hair, I am currently using the Curls Blueberry Bliss Twist-n-Shout cream. I then use the Garnier Fructis Curl Treat Natural Curling Jelly. 

I swear by these products but it’s perfectly possible for my hair to change in the near future. Keeping up with your curls is about learning to listen to them and taking them seriously. When I need a treatment, I use a protein mask or a moisture mask to really get deep into my roots. The only way I know when it’s time for a treatment is to listen to what’s going on. Obviously, our hair isn’t going to speak to us in the traditional sense, but if they’re limp, not snapping back, or not shiny, then I know it’s time to put more work in. 

Love your curls. They’re beautiful like you are and are something unique. 

Francheska is a 23 year old writing major who enjoys reading fanfiction, watching netflix, and spending a day underneath the sun.