Style

How I Shop on a Budget While Being a Compulsive Shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you’re a college student like myself, you’re living paycheck to paycheck. Working 25-30 hours a week and somehow, you’re still broke. As a girl who goes to Target every day, I will admit, I struggle with the term “Budget”. I am that type of girl if I see something I really like, I must have it, and that motto bites me in the butt at times. I am also a Libra and we are known for being not only shopaholics, but also indecisive; which means I will spend an extra 20 minutes walking around the store convincing myself I don’t need it but, in the end, I end up purchasing it. As a New Year’s resolution, I decided this year to learn how to budget more and learn to live within my needs aka stop compulsive shopping. Yikes. So far, I have been doing well. It can get frustrating at times, but in the end, it will all be worth it when I have money saved up.

Shopping is a sport for me, and as crazy as it sounds, it’s addicting. Whenever I see something such as a cute top, this adrenaline kicks in my little 5’3 body and I need it. I should probably seek professional help about my shopping problem **insert shrugging emoji***.

1. The term SALE is your best friend.

Whenever I go shopping, I hit the clearance rack. Clearance = paying items for not the full price and hurting the bank account. TJ Maxx and Marshalls have amazing clearance and sales. I have purchased so many cute tops, pants and even shoes for 50%-80% off (I am not kidding). Just recently, I had to purchase a few tops for my internship and I scored a Calvin Klein top for $8, the original price was $30. Talk about a steal!

Remember while shopping sale items, it is like going to the Casino, you are going to have your good days and find great items and then there will be bad days and you won’t find anything. It happens, but don’t let that discourage you enough to avoid clearance!

2. Another term that is now your best friend: COUPONS.

Coupons are amazing. Why? Because they help you save money with your compulsive needs. Stores recommend you download their apps to get coupons or they will have them in store at the register for you. While working in retail, I would always tell customers to look for our coupons and use them in their advantage. Prime example: Hobby Lobby, 40% coupon. **insert angel heavenly noises**

3. Join store membership programs.

Joining email lists or store membership comes in handy. This is where stores will alert you if there is a sale going on or if there is a coupon out. This is where my little shopping problem from Tarjay started. I was convinced to not only sign up for their cartwheel, but I also got a Red Card. Basically, the red card is a debit or credit card linked to target (mine can only be used at Target) and you get an additional 5% off your purchase. So Cartwheel savings plus 5% = Happy Target customers aka me.

4. Shopping during the change of seasons.

While this example is quite like hitting the sales rack, this method may have you still paying full price in some cases. While you may get lucky and get the off season things on sale, this will help you budget and save during when it is that season again. In this case, you can purchase a few items when it’s “in season” and not feel that you burned a hole in your wallet.

5. Also remember to give back to the community.

When purchasing new clothing or shoes, this is the perfect time to go through your closet and decide what you wear and will keep and what you don’t wear anymore and donate. Every season, I try my best to clean out my closet. This year, I was able to donate a lot of my sweaters and coats I don’t wear anymore. It feels good to reward yourself and to give back to the community as well.

[Gifs and photos courtesy of Pinterest and Giphy]

Just a blonde with an unhealthy obsession with flamingos and Target