Meredith Kress-Converse And Fallen Leaves
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

How to Cope with Wilmington’s Infamous #FakeFall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

As much as I love summer, I think my favorite season of all is fall. There’s something about the leaves changing color, the cooler weather, and the comfy clothes that I just adore. (Another upside to autumn is that it’s the official #spookyszn. Is it too early to pick a Halloween costume?!)

The problem with Wilmington is that it takes a while for fall to arrive. Every time we think autumn has arrived, the next day it’s almost 90 degrees. Or, it’s cool in the morning but warm in the afternoons, and we sweat through our flannels. Not a good look.

What can we do while slogging through an endless, humid summer? Keep reading and find out how to enjoy fall activities when it feels like July!

Decorate your apartment or dorm with cute (and inexpensive) fall decorations.

Putting up fall decorations is a way to feel the spirit of the season…even if the weather won’t cooperate. You can choose to go the cutesy route with bright orange and red flowers and pumpkins, or you can go the spooky route and get a jump on Halloween decorations. Maybe adopt a skeleton and a glittery spider for your common room? Anyone down for a trip to Dollar Tree?

Wear fall colors.

Even if it’s still too warm for real fall clothes—sweaters, flannels, scarves, boots, etc.—you can always show your devotion to autumn by wearing dark-colored summer clothes. Break out your forest greens, maroons, red-oranges, and dark browns. Wearing darker lipstick to match the aesthetic, and maybe even break out a jean jacket (only to be worn in air-conditioned rooms that are wayyyy too cold).

Watch your favorite Halloween movie.

Whether you stan good witches (a la Halloweentown) or bad b*tches (a la Hocus Pocus), watching a movie that features autumn’s most prominent holiday will definitely get you in the fall mood. You might even feel a little chill in the air (but that could just be the Sanderson sisters on their way…)

Buy fall-scented perfumes, lotions, and candles.

Pumpkin spice? Cinnamon? Cranberry? Vanilla? Yes, yes, yes, and absolutely! Even if the Wilmington air still has the distinct smell of suntan lotion, you can smell like a pumpkin patch or a Thanksgiving meal and bring the fall vibes everywhere you go.

Go apple picking or pumpkin picking.

Need a roomie bonding exercise? Go to a pumpkin patch or an apple orchard! It’s loads of fun and will definitely drive away your “why-is-it-still-summer” blues. Don’t forget to paint your pumpkins instead of carving them so they last until November!

What will you do to survive #Fake Fall? Tweet @HerCampusUNCW with your answer and let us know your favorite fall tradition!

Rachel is a senior and Creative Writing major/English minor at UNCW. She loves to write about entertainment and often publishes listicles on her favorite movies, music, and TV. Rachel is probably rereading the Percy Jackson books, watching comedy specials on Netflix, or petting a dog right about now. Sometimes, she's doing all three.