This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you’ve been on Facebook anytime from 2009 to now, you’ve probably heard of the movement No-Shave November. The group encourages people to grow out their locks and then donate it to American Cancer Society on the last day of November.

But, do you know where No-Shave November began?

Photo Credit: Her Campus

The foundation can be traced from Australia in 2004 by 30 men who decided to not shave their moustaches for the 30 days of November to raise awareness for prostate cancer and depression in men. At the end of the month, men (and even women) are supposed to donate the money that they usually spend on shaving to educate people about cancer prevention and saving lives. They decided to name the foundation Movember.

In its first year of existence, Movember was able to raise $40,000. Just last year, since its growing popularity, the company raised $126.3 million. The money that was raised goes to many organizations that help cancer research and prevention.

The Facebook group promoting No-Shave November started in 2009 when Matt Hill lost his battle with colon cancer. Using the idea of Movember, his daughter, Rebecca Hill, started the non-profit organization with a friend, and just last year has raised over $1 million. The group has also raised money and awareness by selling T-shirts and bracelets.

Since its growing attraction, No-Shave November has partnered with the American Cancer Society to help grow awareness of cancer.

The thing about No-Shave November and Movember is that anyone can participate! All you have to do is grow out your hair or beard and then donate it. Even if you don’t want to grow out your hair, you can still support and gather other people to grow out theirs. Or, you can donate to the cause! With the help of anyone, these organizations can bring attention to a disease that takes many lives.

Hello! My name is Stephanie Spencer and I am a sophomore at University of North Carolina Wilmington. I am interested in PR, and one day I want to move to Chicago and work for a company that will allow me to travel the world. I love to read and write and I have too many dreams and aspirations.