This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Picture this: you’re sitting in class, minding your own business, just going about your day like it’s any other. Then, all of a sudden, it happens. You’re dragged out of whatever daydream you’ve been content to call home for the past forty-five minutes and thrown into your worst nightmare that has suddenly become reality: a group project.

Let’s face it: group projects are the worst. Maybe you always get stuck with classmates who could not care less about the work. Maybe you always seem to end up in a group with more than one dominant personality, which inevitably causes tension between the self-proclaimed “leaders.” Any way you slice it, group work is not for the faint of heart.

If you have ever experienced the frets and woes that come with group projects (or are currently experiencing them now), I offer my sincerest condolences. In honor of group project season being in full swing, I present to you group projects as illustrated by the characters of Parks and Recreation (aka one of the greatest shows of all time).

When one minute you’re having a good day and the next your professor announces a group project.

How did we get here?

When you finish distributing the workload and you’re the one with all the responsibility.

It all happened so fast.

When you suggest that your group should meet to work on the project and suddenly everyone is “busy.”

Coincidence? I think not!

When that one person who never does anything tries to act like they’ve contributed.

You might as well have one less group member.

When your group is seriously behind on work and your professor asks how it’s going.

Hahahahaha. Funny you should ask.

When that one person who doesn’t let anyone else make the decisions takes over.

Otherwise known as a dictatorship.

When it’s the day of a group presentation and that one member who didn’t help shows up to take credit.

NOW you show up?

When you vent to your friends about this twisted form of torture known as group projects.

Okay, but you DO want to be a little dramatic.

When someone you know mentions that they never have to do group work in their major.

Hm. Must be nice.

And finally, when you manage to pull off the greatest plot twist in human history by getting a good grade 

All thanks to yours truly. 

Elena is a friendly senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is currently majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. When she's not in class or napping, you can catch Elena working out at the gym, binge-watching medical dramas, or indulging her caffeine addiction at a local coffee shop.