This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Tabitha Shiflett is far from your average student writer. She’s written for countless publications, including, The Shopper, an advertising magazine in Chesapeake, Virginia.; Greater Wilmington Business Journal; WILMA, Wilmington’s Magazine for Women; Wilmington Living Magazine (WLM); The Hampton Roads Magazine, which is now Coastal Virginia Magazine; The Seahawk, the university paper; Her Campus, she’s is the Managing Editor, and GoSEO, a web-content company that focuses on search engine optimization. She is also the founder of The Seahawk’s fashion blog, Seahawk Chic.

See how this fashionista and writer has been so successful in her undergrad years.

How did you get started in writing?

Writing has always been my biggest passion. When I was in high school, I founded our school newspaper, The Spartan Download. I was the Editor and Chief for two years, but the newspaper faded out as soon as I graduated.  During that time (when I was 16), I contacted The Shopper. I spoke to the editor for a while, and finally convinced her to let me write a story. She gave me a practice story, liked it, and I’ve been writing ever since.

What are you involved in on campus?

As far as university involvement goes, I write and edit for Her Campus on a weekly basis, I am a staff writer for The Seahawk (also on a weekly basis) and I am a Departmental Honors student. Next semester there is talk of me doing a fashion segment on Teal TV, but until then, I will continue to run the UNCW fashion blog.

What is the hardest part about writing for two publications on campus?

Honestly, writing for two publications isn’t a problem. It’s writing for outside publications that really puts my schedule in a bind. My typical week includes, 10 to 12 articles for GoSEO, one article for The Seahawk, one article for Her Campus and two articles for WLM, which involves researching local businesses and obtaining photographs, as well. That, and balancing six classes can be a struggle sometimes.

How did you get started with Seahawk Chic?

Over the summer I thought, ‘how awesome would it be to spotlight UNCW fashion, with UNCW students?’ So, I created a blog and started emailing several students, begging for photos to post. A good friend of mine, Samantha Santana, also helped me set up a few things to get the blog started. She contacted people to get photos and helped promote the site once the semester started. Since then, the Facebook page has reached 223 likes, and the blog has reached 3,513 views as of today.

What do you hope fellow students get from this fashion blog?

The sole point of Seahawk Chic is to make students feel better about themselves. I want each and every person on campus to feel beautiful, because they are. That is why I try to find unique outfits to post, I want the person I chose to think, “Wow, she liked my outfit.” It makes me happy to know that I am making people smile.

What do you suggest for other aspiring writers?

Experience is key. Work, work, work and work until you cannot work anymore. In the journalism world, perfection is the only way to get to the top. It is important to get used to constructive criticism and use it as a way to better your writing. Also, don’t take things personal. Editors only say the things they do to help you. And internships are a must. 

Oh, and remember, never give up!

Where do you see yourself in the future?

I graduate in May, and from there I hope to go to Columbia University. There is a publishing institute there, and it would mean more than anything to me to be in New York writing about what I love–fashion. My dream career is to be a writer for Vogue.

See all of Tabitha’s writing on Pinterest, or find and friend her on Facebook!

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_