Follow the Teal Brick Road: UNCW Homecoming 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Webster’s Dictionary defines Homecoming as an annual event held by a college, university or high school for visiting alumni, but here at UNCW it is so much more than that. Homecoming at UNCW is different, and slightly less traditional than other schools. Since we don’t have a football team, our Homecoming is held at the beginning of second semester during basketball season. While most universities hold a Homecoming-type event during basketball season, their biggest event is usually in the Fall. Because UNCW’s Homecoming is unique from other universities, we pride ourselves on going big each year to show our Seahawk pride.

Picture from www.UNCW.edu

The theme of Homecoming 2014 was “Follow the Teal Brick Road,” which is perfect because after all, there’s no place like the Dub. This year, Homecoming featured many of the traditional UNCW events such as Late Night Breakfast, Dub Idol, the Port City step show and the Tealgate. These are just a few of the events that define UNCW’s Homecoming, but without them, Homecoming just wouldn’t be the same. Some new additions to the lineup included a sidewalk chalk competition, a cupcake decorating contest and Glow Ball. Every year UNCW’s Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE) does a great job of keeping Homecoming fresh and exciting without straying away from our customs.

Personally, my two favorite events were Late Night Breakfast, which kicked off Homecoming this year, and the well-known Dub Idol. The breakfast was held in Wagoner dining hall on Sun. night, the first night of Homecoming week. The feast started at 10 p.m. and featured a plethora of breakfast foods. Throughout dinner, there was entertainment and chances to win prizes. Despite the really long line, Late Night Breakfast is always one of the best Homecoming events.

Dub Idol took place on Wed. of Homecoming week, and like usual, the entire theater was packed. Besides the basketball game, Dub Idol is the most attended event during Homecoming. Dub Idol is something that is entirely unique to UNCW, which only makes it that much cooler. This year there were 10 contestants that fought for the title, but in the end, Brent Campbell stole the show. His act was exceptionally fun to watch because he wrote his own song and he played guitar. There is so much talent at UNCW that every year it gets harder and harder to choose a winner.

The busy week closed out with the basketball game, which of course, is every Seahawk’s favorite part of Homecoming. The game gives students and alumni a chance to really show off their school spirit and show why they love UNCW. The stands were filled with a mix of undergrads, graduate students and alumni with their families, all there to cheer on the team. In the end it doesn’t matter who you are or where you are now, once you’re a Seahawk, you’re a Seahawk for life.