Eyelash Extensions, Are They Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you’re like me, you are obsessed with having full and lengthy eyelashes.  I had naturally long and beautiful eyelashes, until my little accident happened. About two years ago, I decided to use an unfamiliar brand name of mascara and eyelash curler, well come to find out, I was allergic to that mascara and by using the curler, I ripped out my own eyelashes. Yes, I cried. I have tried everything in the books; biotin, petroleum jelly at night, and fake eyelashes and I just could not get them to look the way they did before. I have been wearing falsies eyelashes for a while and I had fell in love with the look. However, constantly putting glue on my eyelids and basically ripping the falsies off each night was not helping with my lash-growth situation.

There was a contest posted on Instagram from a local salon called Beauty Bar Boutique to win free partial eyelash extensions. With my luck, I knew I was not going to win but it was worth the shoot. Turns out, this girl won. Overall, the process of applying the lashes took a little over an hour and thirty minutes. That hour and thirty minutes had to have been the most relaxing moment of my entire life. It was not painful, in fact, it was almost soothing.The aftercare is the tricky part; you cannot apply makeup as such as mascara or eyeshadow for at least 48 hours. You cannot wet your eyelashes for that time as well. While taking a shower, I had to get crafty and I had to wear sunglasses in the shower, in order for them to not get wet. For makeup removal, it must be oil free– I strongly suggest either Neutrogena or Clinique’s oil free eye make-up remover. After showering, you cannot rub your eyelashes, you must blot them with a towel or let them air dry. The aftercare process may sound too much or a little high maintenance, but it is worth keeping up to date with them in order for them to last long.

With being a college student (and most of us are on a strict budget) the only con I could think of for getting lash extensions is the pricing. A partial starts out at $150 and a full set starts at $200. The fill-ins start from $50-80. That can easily break the bank but if you’re sick and tired of trying all the other alternatives and have the funds to pay for it, then I strongly suggest getting lash extensions. Overall, I love my lashes. I am on week three now and I decided to continue my journey with eyelash extensions. I think it is completely worth investing in.  I love how it cuts time off for me to do my makeup routine and how I always look like I have full eyelashes. I was very pleased with my result and will continue to get fill-ins. Moral of the story: do not ruin your lashes by using unfamiliar brand name mascara! 

[Photos courtesy of Taylor Winch]

[Cover Photo Courtesy Of Pinterest

Just a blonde with an unhealthy obsession with flamingos and Target