Do’s and Don’ts When Registering for Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Fall semester is approaching fast, and with the end comes registration for spring semester. Registration time is stressful for many of us. It’s a time where banging on your laptop keyboard and yelling at your computer for missing the final seat in a class are regular occurrences for many students. Here are some suggestions on how to reduce stress in the registration process:

Talk to an Advisor

Although making an appointment with an advisor may seem tedious and annoying, it can be really advantageous for you as a student. Most advisors respond really well to questions that you have come prepared with, so make sure to have a few things jotted down to discuss. If you go in there just wanting your pin, then that is the information that they will provide.  Make sure you understand your schedule as much as possible, so you’re sure you don’t need any extra information from your advisor and think through potential questions or comments before the meeting.

Use ratemyprofessor.com/ask friends for suggestions

When browsing through the courses available for the spring semester, be sure to pay attention not only to the times that the class is listed, but also to the professor. Believe it or not, some professors may not be the best fit for you as a student and your learning style. Look up professors on ratemyprofessor.com. Don’t believe everything you see about that professor, but keep in mind that if there are 15 reviews on one professor all stating negative comments, it may be best to try and steer clear of his/her class.

Make Schedule Ahead of Time

If you haven’t already, plan out your schedule with potential classes ahead of your registration day. There’s nothing like the panic of seeing all the classes you need become filled up because you didn’t know you need that class until you start registering. Also, planning your schedule beforehand can help you to plan the classes you need without overlapping times.  It will help you to get organized ahead of time and reduce a little stress in your life.

Have back up classes

When planning your schedule, also plan for back up classes! Even if you want that Biology class at a specific time, it may not be ideal come registration time. That class may be full, but it’ll be no big deal if you have another Biology class at a different time; or maybe have another requirement planned in place of that Biology class, such as a History course, just in case.

Alarm

Set an alarm for your registration time! With classes going on and everything else in life it’s easy to forget your registration time, but it’s important to remember.  Even if it’s a silent alarm on your phone if you’re in classes, any kind of reminder will help.

If you don’t get all of the classes you need, don’t freak out. There is always time to make up these classes and there are waitlists on classes as well. So there’s always a chance to complete the requirements that you need for your degree. Don’t stress and good luck!