This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The next time you sit down trying to decide what to watch, try out one of these great documentaries! Documentaries are an easy and entertaining way to become informed about past, present and future issues in our world. That being said, it’s important to keep in mind that, just like with any other type of media today, we must always be aware of biases within the content. However, there’s no reason not to watch and gain some insight into a new perspective (which is NEVER a bad thing). 

Feminists: What Were They Thinking? 

This documentary discusses the past and present meaning of feminism in our culture and the need for change in the current day. 

Take Your Pills

The competitive nature of our culture has lead to some extreme drug habits, but most people consider it a safe medicine. 

Wild Wild Country

One of the most interesting docu-series I have ever watched. This documentary tells the true crime story about the very controversial cult that took over a city in Oregon. 

The Bleeding Edge

Most people would not even think to question a doctor or a medical device recommended by a doctor, but this documentary really opens your eyes to the truth about the medical device industry and true stories about people directly impacted. 

Period. End of Sentence.

This short documentary focuses on rural India where they use a machine to make low-cost sanitary products and their struggles with the stigma of periods. 

Minimalism: The Documentary About the Important Things

Two men working towards climbing the corporate ladder decide that material possessions do not make them happy. So they create this documentary that focuses on the small examples of the shift towards a minimalist lifestyle in America and what consumption really means. 

Julia is currently a Senior at UNCW studying Business, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Spanish. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing for a company working towards environmental sustainability and stewardship. Her humorous and honest disposition shows through her writing here at Her Campus. Some of her favorite hobbies include painting, pottery, yoga, cooking and making people laugh.