This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Dan McCord

Age: 20

Major: History and Economics

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Holly Springs, NC

Meet Sophomore Dan McCord, the current Student Body Vice President who is enthusiastic about having a hand in making UNCW’s future a bright beacon that we can all look forward to!  

HC: What are some responsibilities you have as student body Vice president that you didn’t anticipate?

One of the responsibilities I didn’t know about going in was my role on the Tuition and Fees Committee. I was responsible for Co-Chairing this group with our Provost to determine any tuition and fee changes for next year. It was a fantastic experience though, as I had a direct influence over a critical part of our college experience.

HC: What led you on the path to becoming Student body VP- Did you know you wanted to do it when you first came to UNCW?:

I originally looked into SGA when my friend, who was a Senator, introduced me to it. Soon, I learned that a friend of mine was considering a run for President. After reviewing her platform, I knew that I wanted to be a part of the team. I wasn’t sure about joining SGA when I first came to college, but I’m so happy I took the chance.  

HC: What are some ideas that you had originally to change things around campus? Have you and Tobi (President) followed through with these or have some of your priorities changed?

Tobi and I have stuck to our original platform pretty closely. We sought to get food dollars off-campus, and now Papa John’s accepts them. We have advocated strongly for HawkWifi improvements, which was one of our original priorities. As UNCW goes through this stage of major transition, our priorities have shifted to making sure the student voice is never lost in these crucial conversations. 

Dan and Tobi, the Student Body President!

HC: What are your hopes for the future (at UNCW and otherwise)?

I hope to see UNCW settling into a path for the future soon. We are doing a lot of idea generation and debate, and I’m eager to see the result. My hopes for the future of my career here include serving in the role of SGA President and also studying abroad before I graduate. 

HC: What advice do you have for other students at UNCW?

My advice for other students is to stick with it. A lot of people have rocky early years as they try to figure out what their niche is here. I almost transferred during that time, but I am so happy I didn’t. It takes time to understand what you want out of your college experience, and it is perfectly fine if you don’t determine your path right away. As I get close to my junior year, I’m only starting to solidify my goals. You just have to stick with it.

HC: What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?

My biggest accomplishment so far has been getting elected to the position of Student Body Vice President. It was a tough election and we worked very hard to get here.

Congrats to Dan on everything he’s done so far, we can’t wait to see what the future has in store for him and he certainly has our vote!

Photos: Courtesy of Dan McCord