Cutest Couple: Brad Williams & Mary Kate Thurston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Names: Brad Williams, Mary Kate Thurston

Class: Juniors

Major: Brad- Accounting, Mary Kate- Psychology

Relationship Status: The couple says it will be two years in May.

Anyone who knows Brad and Mary Kate always talks about how they are THE perfect couple. No matter who they are around, you can instantly see that these two are very much in love. They are always laughing, playing around and pretty much have a permanent grin on their faces. They are the type of couple that you expect to be together forever. Read more to find out how they met, their favorite thing about one another and their first impression of each other.

HC: When and how did you first meet?

MK: We lived on the same hall our freshman year. We met the first night of college when me and my roommate were trying to get rid of our leftover pizza, and Brad happened to be the first person we asked.

HC: Mary Kate, what is your favorite thing about Brad?

MK: Besides the fact that he is the only person who is truly as weird as me, I think I love the fact that when he thinks no one is looking, I catch him picking up trash, bringing back stray shopping carts left in the parking lot, etc. Little things most people wouldn’t think to do. One time he could tell a guy was struggling in Calculus class, so he wrote out pages of what he was having trouble with and slipped it on the guy’s desk when he wasn’t looking. Brad is truly the most selfless person I know. 

HC: Brad, what is your favorite thing about Mary Kate?

Brad: Well I definitely love her burning passion to try and beat me at everything. She gets so competitive over the smallest things, and she loves when I lose. But my favorite thing about her is how she challenges me to think in different ways and has opened my eyes to a whole new way of viewing the world.  She has truly made me a better person, and no matter what happens, I know that she was put into my life for so many reasons.

HC: What is your secret for staying together so long?

It’s weird, but whenever one of us gets really mad at the other we just start bursting out laughing. It’s impossible to keep a straight face no matter how mad we are. This always helps us talk our problems out calmly, without the anger.

HC: How did you start dating?

MK: Brad came into college with a girlfriend and I never dreamed of wanting a serious relationship so soon. Those were probably the best things that could have happened to us. We got to know each other as close friends for the first year we knew each other, but we eventually realized it was more than that. Although I’m pretty sure our group of friends knew we were going to end up together way before we did.    

HC: What is your favorite memory together?

Brad: MK always talked about this one shrimp burger that she loved in Emerald Isle, which is about two hours from Wilmington. One day she found out some pretty bad news, so I took her. The car ride ended up being so much fun, the shrimp burger worked as excellent comfort food, and we even went to the aquarium there that MK loves. It was great how we could turn that day into such a happy memory.

HC: What has been your most favorite date that you guys have been on?

MK: Brad does an awesome job planning dates, but my favorite is probably when he surprised me with jet skiing one day at Wrightsville!

HC: So Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were called Brangelina, what would you call yourselves?

Brary Kate? That’s pretty bad. If we ever become famous we’ll definitely have to work on that.

HC: What was your first impression of each other when you first met? 

MK: I thought he was pretty annoying.

Brad: I thought she was hot.

I am a junior at UNCW with a major in communications and a minor in journalism. I have always been interested in writing and I am very excited that I have this opportunity to write for Her Campus. I know it sounds geeky but I love school and to hang out with friends and go fishing and to the beach.