jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie, J.T. Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The Basics

Name: J.T. Smith

Year: Freshman

Major: Communication Studies and English!

Hometown: Fayetteville, NC 

Fast facts

Favorite food: Cheese fries

Favorite movie: Perks of Being A Wallflower

Favorite sport:…LOL.  I know literally nothing about sports, but if I HAD to choose one, it would be soccer.

Questions:

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

JT: Well, not much currently. I was involved in the College Democrats, and through that got an amazing opportunity to work for the Andrew Barnhill campaign, but other than that I have mainly just been focusing on school!

HC: What do you love most about UNCW?

JT: I know I can’t say everything but…everything! If I had to narrow down to one specific choice, it would be the community.  Everyone here really cares about you, and is always available to lend a helping hand.

HC: Describe your perfect date. 

JT: One with a living, breathing human being that can tolerate me.  But honestly, take me somewhere where my mind is being stimulated, like an art gallery or a poetry performance.  I love art and will be very impressed if my potential date knows what he is talking about!

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

JT: I HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH SEASHELLS.  I collect one every single time that I go to the beach!  They’re as unique and special as each and every time that I go to the beach.  I can look at them and think of the memories, whether they are tanning with friends or crying alone about some boy, and cherish them!

HC: Name three things you look for in a partner. 

JT: The three things I look for are:

1. Passion.  Be passionate about something! No matter if it’s video games or politics, I love it when a guys’ eyes light up at the mention of their passion in life.
  2. Drive.  No time for laziness! I am an extremely ambitious person, and will leave you in the dust if you can’t keep up!
  3. Attention: I need constant attention, not because I am selfish or love to be adored, but because I spend a lot of my time tending to others.  I need someone to tend to me when I forget, which is often!

HC: What’s your biggest turn-off? 

JT: Cockiness!  I HATE it when all guys do is talk about their accomplishments and themselves on a date, or in any other setting.   Be humble, and confidence is nice, but don’t spend 45 minutes talking about how you’re suuuch a nice person because you donated to charity one time.  You are not Mother Teresa.  Calm down.

HC: What’s the best piece of advice you were ever given?

JT: I actually got it from my favorite book, Perks of Being A Wallflower, it’s as follows: “We only accept the love we think we deserve.”  I know it’s more of a quote than a piece of advice, but if you really look into it, It’s some of the best words I have ever heard.  It basically means that the quality of love that we receive is going to be the same amount of love that you have for yourself.  If you love yourself wholly and fully, then you will surround yourself with people who love you with the same amount of intensity. 

[Photo courtesy of JT Smith]

Gabriella is a twenty-something Floridian who has taken her love of waterfront living and sandy toes to Wilmington, NC! When she's not imprinting her body frame on the beach or stocking up on excessive jars of peanut butter, Gabriella can be found in the lines of Dunkin Donuts scrolling through Pinterest in the search of the perfect apartment decor. Her dream profession is to work for a women's magazine with an emphasis on millennial empowerment. Follow her on Twitter, @gabby_dionisio!