Campus Celebrities: Casey McAnarney and Taylor Maloch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Casey McAnarney

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Hometown: Raleigh, NC

Majors: English and Communication Studies

Minor: Journalism

Taylor Maloch

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Hometown: Apex, NC

Major: Communication Studies

Minor: Journalism

We are pleased to announce our new Campus Correspondents for the 2016-2017 school year, Casey McAnarney and Taylor Maloch! Both Casey and Taylor are avid members of Her Campus UNCW and they continue to add more to our organization every week. These two women have been vital members of our group and they are going to do amazing things for this organization in the future. We are so excited to see the plans that Casey and Taylor have for Her Campus UNCW!

HC: How long have you been a member of Her Campus UNCW? What made you want to join this organization?

CM: I have been with Her Campus since the beginning of this school year, and I decided to apply for HC because I really wanted to open myself up to different forms of journalistic endeavors. HC borders more of the Buzzfeed type of writing and I wanted to make sure that when I graduated I was well versed in different types of writing.

TM: I came across the Her Campus table at the involvement carnival last semester and really loved the idea of having a website created for college women. Since I want to be a journalist I was looking for a group that I could write stories for and Her Campus was a perfect fit.

HC: What is your favorite part of Her Campus?

CM: My favorite part about HC is how we get a real say in what we want to write. Though the Campus Correspondents give us some ideas, they are also very open to suggestions, which is cool because I feel as though some of our best stories have come that way.

TM: I love reading the new stories each week; they are always so relatable and entertaining. I also like tabling and participating in our events because it’s fun to interact with other students and show our campus what we can achieve.

HC: Why did you decide to run for the position of Campus Correspondent?

CM: I decided to run for CC because I love the organization as a whole and feel as though I have some cool ideas that will help broaden our reach and recruit more new members. I also love that this opportunity affords me the chance to learn some leadership skills.

TM: I realized how dedicated I was to this group and really wanted to take the next step by taking a leadership position. I have so many ideas for the future of Her Campus UNCW and I really wanted to make our chapter shine.  

HC: What plans do you have for the future of Her Campus UNCW?

CM: I plan to work hard next year with recruitment. Though we have a great group of girls, I feel as though we could really benefit from having a larger group with more ideas to bounce around.

TM: I really want the Her Campus name to be extremely well known and have a great reputation on and off campus. I plan on having more events for the campus and giving our team a great experience within the chapter.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

CM: I am the current News Editor for UNCW’s student run newspaper The Seahawk, which I will be Editor-In-Chief of in the fall.

TM: I am also involved with the Communication Studies Society.

HC: What is your favorite part about UNCW? What made you want to come to school in Wilmington?

CM: My favorite part about UNCW is probably how willing to help out everyone is here. UNCW is not a hyper competitive university- though students are rather competitive- and everyone is not trying to take advantage of someone else’s disadvantages. People are more willing to help out and collaborate.

TM: I decided to go to UNCW because their communication and journalism program is incredible. I also felt at home when I toured the school, I love the friendly atmosphere of the campus and being 10 minutes away from the beach isn’t too bad either!