sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Halloween Movies to Binge Watch This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner and you know what that means! Parties, giant bags of candy, trick-or-treaters, and Halloween movies galore. Here’s a quick list of the best movies to binge watch before the 31st.

1. Halloween (1978)

“You must be ready for him…If you don’t, it’s your funeral.”

It’s hard to create a list of must-watch Halloween movies without including the classic horror film named after the holiday itself. Watch out for Michael Myers!

Photo courtesy of The New York Times

2. The Evil Dead (2013)

“You shouldn’t have touched anything from that basement.”

The most recent remake of this cult film from the 80’s is gruesome. It’s pretty much guaranteed to give you nightmares, but that’s okay.

Photo courtesy of The Burning Barrel.

3. Saw (2004)

“He doesn’t want us to cut through our chains. He wants us to cut through our feet!”

The first Saw film is also gory, but there’s more mystery and suspense involved. So, in the words of Jigsaw himself, do you want to play a game?

Photo courtesy of Den of Geek

4. The Shining (1980)

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”

As far as horror films go, The Shining is one of those go-to movies every Halloween. Even if you’ve seen it hundreds of times, a crazy Jack Nicholson never fails deliver the creeps.

Photo courtesy of Cinema Blend

5. Hocus Pocus (1993)

“Oh look, another glorious morning. Makes me sick!”

If you don’t like scary films, Hocus Pocus might be one of the best Halloween-spirited movie options this year. It’s corny at times, but it’ll get you in the holiday mood without making you pee your pants.

Photo courtesy of Cinema Blend.

6. Ghostbusters (1984)

“Don’t cross the streams!”

Like Hocus Pocus, the Ghostbusters series is lighthearted and funny while still incorporating Halloween themes! All you have to do is sit back and watch a couple of funny guys catch ghosts together.

Photo courtesy of techtimes.com.

7. The Exorcist (1973)

“What an excellent day for an exorcism.”

When The Exorcist came out over four decades ago, it was one of the scariest movies ever. It may not be the scariest movie now, but it’s still haunting and worthy of watching this Halloween.

Photo courtesy of Blumhouse.

8. It Follows (2015)

“It could look like someone you know or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you.”

This movie (in my honest opinion) is one of the most horrifying films out there. The thought of anything slowly following me for days on end is enough to make me sleep with the lights on.

Photo courtesy of Thought Catalog.

9. The Babadook (2014)

“You can’t get rid of the Babadook.”

The Babadook is an emotional rollercoaster that deals with more than just monsters in the closet. It’s a great horror film and psychological thriller all wrapped up into one.

Photo courtesy of filmcomment.com.

10. 28 Days Later (2003)

“If someone gets infected you’ve got between ten and twenty seconds to kill them. It might be your brother, or your sister, or your oldest friend. It makes no difference.”

There aren’t many zombie movies in this list, but 28 Days Later makes the cut. If you ever wanted to know what happens when a rage-inducing virus spreads to the public, this movie is for you.

Photo courtesy of pophorror.com

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.