This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

I have entered this strange period where many of my friends are either obsessing over their Pinterest wedding boards, receiving engagement rings, or even preparing for a little one. I have to say an engagement ring is not at the top of my wishlist. I am a senior and my priorities have nothing to do with the number of karats in my dream wedding band or which color scheme I should have for a June wedding.

The abundance of social media posts involving major life changes has taught me that everyone has their own wonderfully unpredictable timeline that more often than not takes sharp detours when least expected. Society encourages us to hurry along to the next thing. Maybe dropping those ten pounds will make me happy. If I get this job, I will be successful. Nope, it’s healthier to drop that mindset altogether. We are all in different phases of our lives. 

Instead of dwelling over the fact that you don’t have the same niceties as someone else, think of something you can do to give back to your community. I started paying closer attention to how much screen time I spend each week thanks to Apple’s screen time feature. I spend roughly two hours on my phone a day. One of those hours could be used to prepare a meal for a homeless shelter or go through my closet and find clothes I could donate. The possibilities are endless! 

Another thirty minutes of my screen time could be used to spend time on my most pressing concern: finding an internship for the summer. I can dedicate more time to writing and editing cover letters for what I hope to be future employers. (Holy cow there are so many details involved in the editing process!) If you need a distraction from the endless Facebook announcements, date nights captured on Instagram, etc. then take a break from social media and do something that is going to help you reach your goals or help those less fortunate than you. If you take some time for yourself, whether it be fifteen minutes or one hour, you’ll be sporting a new attitude and outlook on YOUR LIFE!! 

Hannah Rzepka is a senior at UNCW studying communication studies with a concentration in marketing. She enjoys creative writing alongside her studies and aspires to be a published author in the near future. Hannah has been writing for HerCampus UNCW for almost four years and has cherished every second of it!!