The Art of the Podcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

For months, I had been aimlessly scrolling through my Spotify library, hoping for a new song to appear. I was disinterested with the tracks that have been on repeat since August. It was a similar feeling to having your favorite song be overplayed on the radio again and again– I grew sick and tired of the music I was listening to. It was only until I was on my way to class a couple of weeks ago when I came across the podcast section on the Spotify app. Since then, I have become an avid podcast listener, and I believe it can do wonders for the human mind and soul. Don’t get me wrong, I live for music. However, podcasts are able to open up one’s thoughts, emotions, and minds just like music does. I relate to different podcasts for different reasons. If I am trying to motivate myself, I will turn to one that discusses strategies for success or one that is directed by a motivational speaker. If I want my curiosities about society to be explained, I will listen to a podcast that provides those answers.

Podcasts are extremely diverse. Just about anything you are looking for, you will find. There are podcasts for wellness, entertainment, politics, news, radio dramas, and more. It’s your own personal radio inside of your device. One of the most helpful podcasts I have come across is called “The Tony Robbins Podcast”. Tony Robbins is a life coach and author, who inspires listeners to start on their path of success by incorporating optimism and positivity into their life. Having a professional giving me words of encouragement on my commute to class allows me to look at each new day with a new, hopeful perspective. Although there are many forms of podcasts, one that focuses on your well-being, in my opinion, is essential for self-improvement.

However, I am aware that many people are disinterested in lifestyle podcasts. This is why I fail to neglect the other forms of podcasts, such as ones that provide entertainment or relate to current events. Another one of my favorite podcasts is “Hidden Brain”, which analyzes social sciences, such as the effects of social media or casual sex. These concepts reveal human patterns that motivate these types of behaviors and clearly explain the notions of society. 

In the end, I believe podcasts are an interesting alternative to the routine list of songs one listens to in their free time. They allow insight into various ideas and beliefs, which helps the human brain become more aware of the world around them, as well as their own life. Although podcasts might not be for everyone, it is now essential for me in my daily routine. I focus on listening to the podcasts that focus on bettering yourself and your lifestyle.

I have only been listening to a couple different podcasts for only a few weeks, yet I have seen a tremendous change in myself. I have found myself being able to listen to others and myself more. I have also treated myself with better care and have listened to the advice that professionals have given. These podcasts have helped me make the changes in my life that I would have never made alone, even though I have wanted to improve these areas of my life for a while. It feels as though I have a support group within my device, guiding me to a path to a more fulfilling life. 

[Photos courtesy of DavidSpell.comScreencraft and WeClipArt.com]