Aimee Trowbridge: A True Seahawk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Currently a Junior at UNCW, Aimee Trowbridge represents what it means to be a true Seahawk. When asked to describe Aimee, her friends and acquaintances have only positive things to say:  service oriented, putting others first, selfless, giving, caring, helpful, silly, and cheerful.

Aimee is a Teaching Fellow majoring in Elementary/Special Education, but when she’s not hitting the books, she is serving others on the UNCW campus and around the Wilmington area.

Aimee strives to volunteer wherever and whenever she has free time. On campus, she is the secretary for the Habitat for Humanity Club and is also a member of the March of Dimes and Rotaract clubs as well. Off campus, she is a Daisy troop Girl Scout leader for young girls in and around the Wilmington area. With all of that being said, it is quite obvious that Aimee has a passion for serving others.

She decided to attend UNCW because she knew that the school would not only offer her many ways to get involved, but be able to fit her personality as well. She absolutely loves the campus because of its calm atmosphere and the joy it brings her to be able to walk through campus every day. Speaking of walking- when asked what her hobbies were, Aimee simply said she enjoyed doing just that. With her busy school schedule, work, and volunteer time, she says it is her number one source for relaxation and allows her to think.

Not only can you find Aimee volunteering or walking around campus, you’ll also find her sitting at the front desk at many of the residence halls around campus. Aimee is employed with UNCW Housing and serves as the happy, smiling Desk Receptionist who greets us whenever we enter the dorms.

When asked if she had any advice for those hoping to get involved on campus, she said to, “[simply] be open minded and try new things. Getting involved is about picking things to do that you love. Clubs and organizations are the easiest way to meet people.”

Aimee is viewed in and around the UNCW community as many things: a mentor to her Girl Scout Troop, a fellow student, a compassionate leader to others, a charitable volunteer and of course, a wonderful friend. Her warm hearted personality is contagious and has had an effect on many of us, which is why she truly is a UNCW Her Campus celeb!

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_