8 Ways to Embrace the Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

While we are all wishing it still stayed warm and bright outside all day, we are entering the fall season. I hear many people say the drop in temperature “feels good” and that they “enjoy the cooler weather” but the truth is, we all know the farther we get into the cold seasons, the more we want the warm weather back. So, here are some fun ways to embrace the fall season (before that seasonal depression kicks in, of course):

1. Swap your summer wear for some comfy sweaters.

After it drops below 60 degrees, shorts are officially retired until it is warm again.

2. Cook something your mom/dad always makes when it gets cold out.

My mom always made chili when the cool weather came around and now it’s my turn to do it myself and fail miserably at replicating my mother’s culinary masterpiece.

3. Try a hot drink from the coffee shop instead of an iced one.

I know we love our iced coffees but we are fooling ourselves when we say, “It’s never too cold for a cold brew!” Yes, it is and we are both shaking due to the combination of caffeine and hypothermia.

4. Buy seasonal candles.

Ah, yes, the calming smell of a Crisp Fall Night. How do they even know what a crisp fall night smells like?

5. Put up some festive decorations.

When it’s no longer beautiful outside, we must compensate and make it beautiful inside. Sure, you’ll only be able to have them up for a short amount of time but who cares when it helps ease the pain of losing summer.

6. Watch a scary movie.

If you’re anything like me, you will definitely regret it, but it’s something people like to do this time of year and helps us get into the spooky vibe leading up to Halloween.

7. Make a fire.

This might require a backyard, fireplace, or a Smart TV with “Crackling Mountain Campfire with Relaxing River, Wind and Fire Sounds” pulled up on YouTube.

8. Dress up for Halloween.

Whether your plans are big or nonexistent, it’s really fun to dress up in something ridiculous for Halloween. You can even make your pet dress up with you. 

[Photos courtesy of Giphy]

Julia is currently a Senior at UNCW studying Business, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Spanish. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing for a company working towards environmental sustainability and stewardship. Her humorous and honest disposition shows through her writing here at Her Campus. Some of her favorite hobbies include painting, pottery, yoga, cooking and making people laugh.