This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Midterm time may be one of the most stressful times you will experience as a college student, next to finals that is! We’ve all been told to study every day after class so that the workload isn’t too much before an exam. Let’s be honest, not many people actually study after every class. We all have a social life to maintain, jobs, and napping responsibilities to tend to. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed, so try not to go into full panic mode! Here are some helpful tips for your hell week. Happy mid-terming everyone!

1. Establishing a study zone.

Choosing where to study can be really difficult. Trust me, your bed should not even cross your mind! Make sure the spot you chose is comfortable, but not comfortable enough for you to fall asleep. Temperature is key! If its too hot or too cold, your body and mind can get frustrated and you’ll be even more upset that you’re having to read Karl Marx. Find a place to study that fits you and your learning style. Try taking full advantage of the fall weather and study outside at a picnic table.

2.  Study Socially.

Forming a study group can work out very well as it can also be a complete failure. If you know you and your friends will end up chatting away in a study room, then try to avoid seeing them during midterms. (Just kidding, but not really.) Study groups work really well for some, just not everyone. Having a group of friends from your class that you know will be good study buddies is a good idea! Studying socially can be both fun and productive; your friends can share ideas and hints on how to remember terms with each other.

3. Take care of yourself.

Avoiding sleep is a no-go. Do yourself a favor and get to bed at a reasonable time for at least 7 hours. You’re actually doing yourself more harm than good by pulling an all-nighter at the library. Retaining information is more efficient when you’re well rested. Also, make sure you are eating well. Processing healthy foods as opposed to a Snickers bar will fuel our body for more energy. Apples are the best way to go!

4.  Library Lockdown Check List.

• Hot coffee/ caffeine of choice
  • Planner/ agenda
  • Headphones & chargers
  • Cozy socks
  • Sweet Study treats

5. Don’t binge.

Binge studying is not as successful as binge watching Netflix. Try your best to not study for hours on end. Research shows that taking breaks every 30-40 minute is the most effective way to study. Nothing is worse than trying to cram loads of information in all at once.

6.  Jog your memory.

Spraying an unfamiliar scent in your study area and then again right before your exam is said to jog your memory. This is also common about chewing certain kinds of gum. If odd scents and questionable gum flavors are not your cup-of-tea, try listening to the same music.

7.  Discipline yourself (NO SOCIAL MEDIA).

If you didn’t tweet about it, did you really even study? In today’s day and age, it is nearly impossible to block off all social media; however, it is possible to ignore it for just a few hours. Websites like getcoldtrukey.com and selfcontrolapp.com have programs to block distracting sites on your computer for a set period of time. Turning off notifications on your phone can also help. Only allow text and call notifications. Letting your friends know that you’re going to study can be really helpful. This way you won’t be getting invites to go out while you’re trying to focus.

8.  Lists. Tons and tons of lists!

This time of year is quite hectic and it’s important to stay organized. Make a list of all of your due dates and exam days. Having a planner can facilitate this, but no need to bug out if planners aren’t your thing. Making a list of all the material you need to study will ensure that you cover the topics you need to know. Also make a list of all the materials you will need for your study time. Lists can save your life!