7 Tips to Make 2017 Your Best Year Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

1. Eat more fruits and veggies.

We say it every year, but this year, really try to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables you consume each day. There are a ton of health benefits in doing so. If you have a campus meal plan, make an effort to include at least one serving of fruits and veggies with every meal. (For example, eat a side salad and an apple with your Wag Deli wrap! Yes, on-campus dining does offer healthy things.)

2. Donate when you can.

I’m guilty of hanging onto clothes I don’t wear for years at a time. One weekend this year, go through your closet and find a few items to donate to a local Goodwill or consignment shop. If there’s an outfit or two you haven’t touched in over three months, it might be the right time to let it go. I guarantee you’ll feel better decluttering your closet and giving back to the community.

3. Take more risks.

This is not to say that you need to go cliff diving (unless that really interests you). Take risks by dying your hair a new color or striking up a conversation with the cute guy (or gal) next to you. Take risks that set you apart from the crowd. If 2016 taught us anything, it’s that life is way too short to “blend in”.

4. Do things for yourself.

As college students, it seems like we exist to please others. We have to make good impressions on our teachers and on our peers, and every semester we go home to parents expecting good grades. While maintaining a good reputation is important, remembering to do things that benefit ourselves is also important. Make time for the things that matter and be the primary influence over your own life.

5. Go to the gym (or something).

Like tip #1, this makes a ton of New Year’s Resolution lists and for a good reason. Aside from eating well, exercise is so important to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If you never go to the gym, start small. Make an effort to go two days a week, slowly ramping it up until you find a comfortable groove that works with your schedule. If you’ve never been a gym person, go for a walk or find a class to take at the rec center.

6. Spend less time on social media.

Whenever I take a hiatus from social media, I always feel better about myself. I can’t speak for everyone, but it might be nice to schedule a few days during the week where Twitter and Snapchat are prohibited from your life. You’ll be more focused on your schoolwork and spending time with friends will be that much better.

7. Let go of toxic people.

If you feel like your growth was stunted in 2016, look at the people in your life. Is there someone who makes you feel bad about yourself or puts down your opinions? Are they selfish? Do they lie? According to the Talented Ladies Club, these could be signs that your “friend” is toxic. If you can, give people who drain you of energy and confidence the boot and replace them with supportive friends who only want the best for you. After that huge weight is lifted, 2017 will be more enjoyable and present more opportunities for growth.

Photos courtesy of Pinterest

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.