6 Pilates Moves for a Flat Stomach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Let’s face it: Every winter, the inevitable 5-15 pounds of holiday weight *magically* appears. Between mountains of mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving and endless pies surrounding the table at Christmas dinner (thanks Mom), you’re bound to put on some extra weight during the holiday season. But don’t worry because pilates–a workout designed to improve mental and physical strength, flexibility, and posture–has got you covered. These 6 pilates moves taught by Cassey Ho, fitness instructor and creator of POP Pilates, will focus on your abdominals while helping you shed weight and feel great!   *Cue infomercial*

1. Single Leg Stretch

Target your lower abs with this low impact move. Inhale as you pull your leg in and exhale as you alternate legs. 

2. Straight Leg Stretch

Increase the intensity from the previous move by straightening both legs. This will target your entire core, hamstrings, and biceps. Repeat the same breathing techniques during this exercise as in the single leg stretch. 

3. The Hundred

This signature pilates move will engage abs, lower back, and glutes. Reach your arms past your thighs and begin pumping your arms while maintaining a flat back; inhale for 3-5 pumps, exhale for 3-5 pumps.

4. Double Leg Stretch

In order to receive the full benefits of this move focus on the stabilization of your core. Pretend as if you are sucking in your belly button and press your lower back to the floor. Inhale as your stretch your arms and legs out, exhale as your pull your legs in.

5. Double Leg Lift

Before beginning, place your hands right below your tailbone. This will eliminate the arching of your back as well as any potential pain within that area. As you lift your legs, tap your ankles to engage your inner thigh muscles as well as your lower back and abs. Inhale as your raise your legs and exhale as you release them.

6. The Roll Up

Did you know that one roll up equals six crunches? Start with your body fully extended, toes pointed, and arms stretched out. Vertebrae by vertebrae, roll your body up to a sitting position. Do this while you inhale, and as you release exhale. This move targets your entire core.

All photos courtesy of blogilates.com.

Gabriella is a twenty-something Floridian who has taken her love of waterfront living and sandy toes to Wilmington, NC! When she's not imprinting her body frame on the beach or stocking up on excessive jars of peanut butter, Gabriella can be found in the lines of Dunkin Donuts scrolling through Pinterest in the search of the perfect apartment decor. Her dream profession is to work for a women's magazine with an emphasis on millennial empowerment. Follow her on Twitter, @gabby_dionisio!