Culture > News

5 Web Conferencing Etiquette Tips While Attending Zoom University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Since starting online classes, it’s been a huge adjustment to not only get used to studying and doing schoolwork while not at a physical building but also to be attending classes virtually. So I’ve put together a couple of web conferencing etiquette tips I’ve collected from my experience web conferencing and from family members who have spent their careers web conferencing.

1.    Know Your Audio

I’ve already seen a lot of classmates doing this, and if you’re also doing this, you’re doing awesome! Essentially, it boils down to reducing background noise so that whoever is speaking is being heard clearly by everyone on the call.  Sometimes, background noise in the environment will translate to the microphone, and that can get really distracting.  However, once you’re muted, I’ve found that it takes a lot more effort to speak up in classes, but it’s still important if you have a question that you need to be answered to try and find a space between the speakers points to interject. 

Another great way to reduce background noise is to use a pair of headphones and muting the mic. Test your audio before going onto the call to know if your mic is too quiet or too loud and how to make those adjustments. It’s best if you’re giving a presentation to try out the web conferencing system with a friend to see if the audio needs adjustment and to get used to the screen sharing system as it changes and generally get a feel for how a presentation will run over Zoom.

2.    Having the Camera on is Generally Good

Generally, it helps out professors and other students if you’re able to see each other. If someone is trying to speak, then it’s much more obvious you have something to say if your webcam is turned on. However, if you have to be doing other stuff while attending class, either communicating with the other people you live with, entertaining a pet or child or just generally don’t want your webcam on, it’s not a requirement considering all the circumstances. Generally, having the webcam on is good, but be cognizant that everyone can see you like in class.

3.    Choose a Plain Background

If you do choose to have your webcam on, pick a plain background. The best option is for you to be against a plain, painted wall so that all your classmates and professor see is just you from the shoulders up.

However, not everyone’s set-up is going to allow for this—so what’s the next best thing? Pick a place where you have minimal foot traffic behind you, and any art or displays behind you is something you’re fine with your classmates and professor seeing.

4.    Arrive One to Two Minutes Before the Meeting Starts

I am that obnoxious person that would arrive 20 minutes early to a class; that doesn’t translate over very well to web conference meetings. The general arrival etiquette is to be on the call between five minutes before the call time starts to the time the call starts. In this case, being on time is on time since classes can’t start unless the professor or the host of the meeting is there to start it.

5.    If You’re Screen-Sharing, Be Aware of What Else is There

If you have to screen share for a class to either present or demo a project, this is important. Only have the necessary documents or programs open that you need to show, and make sure any messaging apps you have that ping you are silenced.  It is really awkward if you forget about your messaging app that suddenly pings during a screen share and everyone can see the messages you’re receiving, whatever the contents may be. Only have documents open that are relevant either to your current class and the screen share or to other classes. It’ll save you time and peace of mind knowing that the only thing anyone saw was just for the class, and no one else saw the rough draft file names of that essay that you’re struggling with.

Fun-loving Senior. Lover of old books, a good victorian outfit, and laugh out loud Netflix shows. You can usually find me coding away in the library late at night.