This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Decorating your room can be a stressful process, but it allows you to highlight your personality in the best ways. Your room is your safe space and where you spend a lot of time so it makes sense that you want to put a lot of time and effort trying to find the best ways to decorate it. 

One of my favorite ways to decorate my room is decorating the walls. So, here are some simple ways to better express yourself in your room and spice up your walls.

Paint an accent wall(s)

When you move into a room the color of the walls will most likely be a bland beige or white. However, a simple fix to that could be painting one or two walls an accent color. I recommend picking your favorite color and or something light and airy to help open up and lighten your room. 

Hang string lights from the ceiling

Hanging string lights is such a fun way to bring some personality to your room. You can choose all white or colored lights depending on your preference. You can choose to add them around the border of your room or just pick one or two walls to hang them from. Hanging string lights also help add mood lighting to your room if you are watching a movie at night or something and do not want to be completely in the dark.

Photo collage wall

I got this idea from my sister who has one wall covered in photos she has printed out. This is easier on a wall broken up with windows so you do not have to print out a bunch of photos and spend a lot of money. Some ways I have seen this done is covering the entire wall with no white space, making shapes with the photos and spacing out photos and utilizing white space.

Hang up posters

Hanging up posters is another great way to fill up the blank space on your wall. Plus posters come in all sorts of sizes so you have a lot of creative room to play with especially if you mix up the types of posters you use.

Hang fake vines/foliage from the ceiling

I also got this idea from my sister and it is very similar to hanging string lights. If you are an outdoorsy person then this is a great way to add and showcase your personality. Hanging fake vines/foliage also creates a calming and serene feeling almost as if you are in an actual forest or jungle.

Veronica is a senior majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Journalism. After college Veronica hopes to write for a newspaper or magazine like The New York Times or Boston Globe. Outside of writing, Veronica enjoys riding her bike, hammocking, reading, volunteering, and cheering on the Cubs.