This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Applying for internships is serious business. While applying for an internship isn’t quite like applying for a full-time job, internships are vital in eventually securing that dream job. The process is tricky though, so here are a few tips to help get you that amazing internship.

1. Start early.

This step is possibly the most important. Finding internships–especially good internships–is difficult and takes time. If you’re a sophomore wanting to find an internship during your junior year, start looking now. It’s never too early to start the internship hunt, and you’ll give yourself a leg up. If you find the one, you’ll have an ample amount of time to prepare the best possible cover letter and resume.

2. Use your resources.

UNCW offers support for students looking for internship opportunities. Head over to the career center for help finding possible opportunities or with fine-tuning your resume and cover letter. Your professors are also an incredible resource. Professors likely have connections in your field of study, and those connections–along with their expertise and advice–just might land you that dream internship.

3. Do your research.

When you’ve found a few viable internship opportunities, make sure you research the company you’re applying for and the position itself. It’s also helpful to tailor each resume and cover letter to each specific company and position–this way, the company or organization can see that you understand their mission and vision and that you’re a great fit.

4. Don’t discount remote opportunities.

Many–not all–fields have remote opportunities available. If you aren’t having luck finding an internship opportunity in your own city, research remote opportunities. These internships offer flexibility, most allowing you to complete work on your own time. The one downside is that many remote positions are typically unpaid, but they’ll still provide your resume a boost.

5. It’s never too late to start.

If you’re a senior in college and you’ve never had an internship, it isn’t too late! While certain internships target college students specifically, there are many that don’t. After graduation, consider finding an internship to jumpstart your career. This may be a perfect opportunity to make connections within your field and could even lead to a full-time position.

Happy internship hunting, fellow collegiates!

Photo courtesy of unsplash.com.

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.