5 Things To Do When the Weather Ruins Your Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

At UNC Wilmington, we know a thing or two about weather. Whether it’s from intense rains, winds, or both, students by the coast understand that when adverse weather hits it can ruin any plans you had for the weekend. So, although Tropical Storm Hermine hit us this Labor Day Weekend and forced us to move plans around, we will be prepared the next time the weather comes to change our weekend plans. Here are five things to do when the weather is out to ruin your weekend:

1. Watch a movie that relates to the name of the storm–I’m looking at you, Hermione!

In spite of this tropical storm’s 45 mile per hour winds and heavy rain, poke fun at those ridiculous names some storms get by watching something that ties into the storms name. Most have already made the connection between Tropical Storm Hermine and a beloved character from the Harry Potter series. Hermine, Hermione–ring any bells? Pull out some of those Harry Potter movies, or even the books, and let the puns begin!

Photo courtesy of Fanpop.

2. Stock up for a fun night in with the roomies.

Prepare for a night in when it comes to adverse weather, because no one wants to ruin their converse or sandals by trying to go out on a rainy night. Telestrations or Cards Against Humanity are super fun games for a night in, and they are even better when paired with pizza and wine!

Photo courtesy of prweb.

3. Tap into your inner child and make blanket forts.

Everyone remembers making blanket forts with their friends as kids. Not only was it the best way to spend a rainy day, but it was also the best place to play card games and tell scary stories by flashlight. Grab you blankets and go wild.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest.

4. Binge watch the new “it” show on Netflix.

This one is a no brainer for most, but Netflix is the most likely option for spending a rainy day in bed. However, don’t just spend the day re-watching all of How I Met Your Mother or Parks and Recreation. Start one of the shows critics and Netflix aficionados are raving about. Stranger Things, for instance, has been the talk of the streaming service for months now.

Photo courtesy of Hollywood Reporter.

5. Once the weather subsides, go out and explore some of the aftermath.

Don’t go out while it’s still in the thick of the storm, but once the weather subsides and your local news stations says that it’s okay to venture outside, put on some rain boots, a coat, and try seeing some of the aftermath of the storm. Some of the pictures from last year’s hurricane, Joaquin, were hilarious and garnered a lot of social media attention. Her Campus UNCW even has two articles from last year–one about the four types of students during storm threats and four thoughts normal students have during a hurricane versus what UNCW students think.

Photo courtesy of dbtechno.com.

Cover photo courtesy of ABC Action News Philadelphia.

A junior at UNC Wilmington double majoring in English-Professional Writing and Communication Studies, Casey aspires to work in the field of journalism post-grad. Not only is she Co-Campus Correspondent, but she is also the Editor in Chief of her school's paper, is a writing tutor and has an obsession with early twentieth century American literature.