This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

1. Sweets

If you’re working on your hot summer bod, eliminating sweets from your diet should already be on your radar. Even if you’re not trying to loose weight, cutting out sweets can still be beneficial to you. Sweets can do major damage to your teeth if indulged excessively. When deciding to take on this challenge for Lent, tell yourself exactly what you’re not allowed to have.

2. Social Media

Taking on the social media challenge is much more difficult in the world we live in now. Unless you’re still living in 1998, you more than likely have a Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. There are many different types of social media users ranging from your grandmother to Kim Kardashian. Even if you’re not constantly posting selfies and telling your followers about your first-world problems, laying off the social media ladder can be very refreshing. You will be more present in actual social gatherings and enjoy the company of those around you. 

3. Spirits 

Pick your poison. Most college students are not willing to give this little guy up. You do not need alcohol to have a good time. Put down the wine, vodka, whiskey, or whatever your drink of choice may be. You can still be the life of the party without drinking and going out can be a lot cheaper as well! 

4. Swearing

While cursing around your friends is no big deal, it’s inappropriate to do so in professional environments. You know the saying, “old habits die hard.” Sometimes we forget were we are and let out a curse word or two. Removing profanity from your language for 40 days can help you express yourself adequately without sounding like a Real Housewife of Atlanta. You could even get creative if you have a tough time at first and adopt child-sensitive words like daggum’, fudge, sugar, etc. 

5. Shopping 

This shouldn’t include all kinds of shopping. Hopefully you’re still willing to go shopping for groceries. Staying away from Sephora, Target, Urban Outfitters and department stores is the ultimate goal. Remove all unnecessary spending for 40 days and your bank account will adore you!