Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Songs Vital to the Single Woman’s Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

February’s arrival means one thing: Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. Stores are already filling with heart-shaped chocolate boxes, pink teddy bears, and other V-day goodies. For single ladies like myself, it can be a difficult holiday to get through without a significant other to share it with. But if there’s anything that can lift the spirit of single girls, it’s good music with even better messages. Here are just five of the best songs to listen to this Valentine’s Day if you’re rocking an independent lifestyle:

1. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” — Beyonce

“If you like it then you should’ve put a ring on it”

“Single Ladies” is truly an anthem for single people all around the globe, and you can’t have a single ladies playlist without it! You get bonus points if you can reenact the dancing from the iconic music video.

At its core, this is a song all about understanding your relationship needs and making choices to satisfy them. In the case of “Single Ladies”, Beyonce urges listeners to drop their S.O. if they aren’t willing to commit by “putting a ring on it”. So while it might not truly be a song about being single, it is one that reinforces women voicing their needs and sticking up for what they deserve.

2. “Love Myself” — Hailee Steinfeld

“Gonna love myself, no I don’t need anybody else”

“Love Myself” is a perfect reminder of how amazing we all are, especially when we are on our own. Most of the lyrics involve Hailee reflecting on how great she feels as a single woman, as well as how she can love herself better and in more ways than any S.O. could. Plus, this is one of those feel-good songs you can sing at the top of your lungs!

3. “Woman” — Kesha

“Everything I got, I bought, boys can’t buy my love”

Off of her most recent album Rainbow, Kesha’s “Woman” embodies everything about womanly independence. Single women don’t need a partner to feel complete or secure. We are self-sufficient enough make our own money, buy our own things, and live the way we want to. “Woman” does an awesome job at reinforcing the magnificent power held by single women.

4. “Pretty Girl Rock” — Keri Hilson

“No question that this girl’s a ten, don’t hate me ‘cause I’m beautiful”

Being single doesn’t mean you aren’t absolutely stunning, so sometimes it’s good to brag about outer beauty as well as inner. “Pretty Girl Rock” is a call for every girl in the world to embrace their undeniable beauty and do the “pretty girl rock” together. This song is the perfect confidence booster!

5. “Run the World (Girls)” — Beyonce

“Smart enough to make these millions, strong enough to bear the children, then get back to business”

Nothing hypes us ladies up like “Run the World” by Beyonce. Single or not, women run the planet, and Beyonce makes that incredibly clear (as if we didn’t already know!). Women are smart, strong, and beautiful, and the world would be nothing without them. Even if you’re alone this Valentine’s Day, take pride in who you are and everything you contribute to this planet.

For these songs and more, check out the “for the single ladies” playlist on Spotify!

[Gifs courtesy of Giphy.]

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.