food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

5 Movies to Look Forward to in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

I love movies. I love going to the movies, I love watching movies at home with friends, and I love talking about movies. So, you can imagine my excitement upon seeing previews for all of the wonderful new films that are going to be released this year. 

New James Bond? Hells yes. A live-action remake of my favorite Disney film? Go ahead and take my money. A movie revealing the backstory of one of the most badass female superheroes? Don’t even get me started. So, without further ado, here are five movies to look forward to in 2020.

“Onward,” March 6th

It’s hard to go wrong with a Disney Pixar film, but throw in an all-star cast that includes Chris Pratt, Tom Holland and Octavia Spencer? This baby is bound to be a hit. “Onward” is the story of two elf-brothers who go on a journey to find some magic and reunite with their father (it’s a Disney Pixar movie, okay?). The trailers for “Onward” look very promising and guarantee a heartfelt and inspirational storyline!

“A Quiet Place Part II,” March 20th

So, this one isn’t exactly an inspirational Disney movie, but it will definitely be just as entertaining (in a different way). I can’t say too much about “A Quiet Place Part II” without spoiling the first movie (if you haven’t seen “A Quiet Place,” get it together), but it promises to be just as thrilling as the first installment. Directed by John Krasinski, “A Quiet Place Part II” follows the Abbott family as they face even more terrors in their post-apocalyptic world of silence. Honestly, just the fact that John Krasinski directed this film is enough to get me to the theater. Take my money, Jim Halpert!

“Mulan,” March 27th

You might be thinking, “Wait, haven’t I seen Mulan before?” The answer is yes, but not quite like this. Disney’s latest live-action remake, “Mulan,” is the story of a brave, female warrior who disguises herself as a man to save her father from being enlisted in the Chinese Imperial Army. There’s humor, there’s action, there’s singing—what more could you ask for? (Nothing).

“No Time to Die,” April 10th

Not gonna lie: when I saw the preview for the newest James Bond film, I might have teared up a little. Just the name itself radiates thrill and suspense! ‘No Time to Die’ sees 007 himself re-enter the spy world to face old and new threats as he investigates the abduction of a missing scientist. Oh, and Rami Malek will be playing the new Bond villain, so I’ll be preordering my tickets.

“Black Widow,” May 1st

The long-anticipated “Black Widow” film is finally here! The newest Marvel movie promises to be an action-packed adventure as we finally get to see the origins of Black Widow, aka Natasha Romanoff. The film will also tell us what Natasha was up to in between “Captain America: Civil War” and “Avengers: Infinity War,” so if you need to do some Marvel binge-watching before May 1st, get to it!

Elena is a friendly senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is currently majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. When she's not in class or napping, you can catch Elena working out at the gym, binge-watching medical dramas, or indulging her caffeine addiction at a local coffee shop.