Style

5 Inexpensive Clothing Stores to Shop At

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

I love fashion. Every day, I spend in an inordinate amount of time browsing through my closet, as if I don’t know most of what I own. And, since I also love shopping, my closet is ever-growing.

But shopping can be expensive. We may not be shopping for Gucci clothes, but the Mayfaires and Independence Malls of the world aren’t always the most affordable. Belk and Hot Topic aren’t necessarily the most affordable shopping places (no offense to those stores—I love their products; they’re just not affordable for me on most occasions.)

So, what’s a girl to do?

This is where thrift shopping and buying outfits on sale come into play. These are all great options for a low budget. You can find items just as cute as they are at the next store that are 50% off or cost $10 because it’s secondhand. Whether it’s business casual for your first day at work, a dress for a formal party, or just a tank top and cute shirts for hanging out with friends, you don’t have to spend a lot of cash to buy something nice.

With that being said, here is a list of my favorite clothing stores that are inexpensive:

1. Goodwill

Goodwill is almost ubiquitous with “thrift store.” You can find anything from furniture to books to dishware—and, of course, clothes. I’ve bought lots of cute T-shirts for DIY projects that weren’t much more than $2; I once even bought a pair of shoes that were under $10 dollars! They also have nice blazers for a more business-casual look that aren’t $50. The next time you need something nice to wear to your interview, check out Goodwill!

2. The Fairy Circle

The Fairy Circle is a local consignment shop that sells a lot of cute secondhand clothes. It’s one of my favorite places to shop, mostly because of their sales! When inventory gets full, they often offer deals like 20% off the store or $2 for dresses! (yes, dresses!) My favorite sale is the one they hold about once a month on Saturdays: It’s a super sale “yard sale” where the entire store is 20% off and everything on clearance is $1! Yes, one dollar, four quarters for a piece of clothing! You know how much you could buy from there? I highly recommend shopping here at least once, especially during their sales!

3. Clothes Mentor

Clothes Mentor is a secondhand shop for high-end/more expensive clothes. So, if you’re looking for high brand names that aren’t full price, this is the place for you! I’ve found some nice shoes here, some for $10; I think the most I paid for a pair of shoes was $20! Like The Fairy Circle, they hold a lot of sales throughout the year, including some $1 sales! Clothes Mentor is definitely one of the stores to put on your list the next time you need some new clothes!

4. Forever 21

Forever 21 isn’t a secondhand store like the first three I mentioned, but they love their sales as much as the next place! I went during a 75% off sale near Christmas and bought the cutest leather skirt for under $10!!! And, while this is obviously based on opinion, they have some of the cutest, trendiest outfits, especially for young women. They know they’re marketing to young adults, too, so that’s one of the reasons they have so many sales! Check out their website for the latest deals!

5Walmart

While not marketed as a clothing store, Walmart may as well be at this point! They have some awesome clothing brands of their own that make you think, “Why doesn’t Walmart open their own clothing store!” And, since it’s Walmart, you can buy a $20 outfit that would have been at least twice the price at other places. If that wasn’t enough, Walmart also loves marking down their clothing and putting things on clearance, as well! I’ve bought a few clothes there for $7, and they’re still in good condition! When you decide to go grocery shopping at Walmart, consider checking out their clothing section!

I love shopping, but I also love my bank account. Balancing my desire for amazing outfits while also finding a steel price is the best of both worlds. And you don’t even have to go that far to find them – so many places are right in the middle of town, or you can shop online! The next time you go shopping, consider that being nice to your wallet doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice beauty – if anything, there’s something beautiful in buying beautiful clothing that’s extremely affordable!

Fairley Lloyd is a graduate of the University of North Carolina Wilmington with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and a Certificate in Publishing. She is just learning about astrological signs but is 100% sure that she's an Aries. In addition to writing, she enjoys reading, dancing, crafting, and doing anything creative.