diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Different Ways To Use Your Old Mascara Wand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

One of my favorite beauty products is mascara, and naturally, I have at least six different types and brands at one time. Mascara is something that is in almost every girl’s arsenal, and when you run out you just end up buying more and throwing the old tube out. But here’s a little tip: DON’T throw out the entire tube! Believe it or not, there are so many different ways to use that old mascara brush to get your makeup and hair on point every single time. Here are five different ways that you can use your old mascara wands!

1. Taming Those Pesky Flyaways

This is probably my favorite way to use my old mascara wands because no one likes all those crazy flyaways when you’re trying to look perfect for going out. Just put a little hairspray on the brush part of the wand, and use it to brush down your hair. It’s easy and creates a flawless finish that your friends will definitely notice. 

2. Brow Taming

As we all know, having perfect looking eyebrows can change your whole day. Use a clean mascara wand to comb and tame your brows. It is super easy and you don’t even have to spend money on a new product!

3. Lip Exfoliator

During winter time I always struggle with chapped lips. We’ve all been there. This year, use your old mascara wands as an exfoliator! Just put some lip balm at it and scrub away the dead skin. It sounds a little weird, but trust me, it works!

4. Declumping Your Mascara

Everyone hates when they get clumps on their eyelashes. Instead of spending time trying to use your mascara covered brush to get rid of them, use an old mascara wand and declump them! It is easy and works really well because it’s a clean brush and isn’t actually putting more mascara on the problem.

5. Reuse as a Favorite Brush

Sometimes your favorite mascara discontinues or is really, really expensive, and the brush is the best part of it. I have been known to clean my favorite mascara wand and put it in a brand new tube of mascara. My favorite mascara brush comes in a tube that is $30, so instead of buying a new tube I just buy a cheaper brand and use my favorite mascara wand! 

Bethany is a Senior at UNCW studying English.