This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Hello. My name is Elena, and I am an Enneagram 4. For those of you who don’t know, the Enneagram is a model that classifies human personality into nine, interconnected personality types. Basically, everyone’s personality type fits a specific number on the Enneagram, and that number is your enneatype. 

However, this isn’t just your average personality quiz on Buzzfeed that tells you what kind of potato matches your spirit based on what you eat for breakfast. Each enneatype has a unique set of strengths, weaknesses, motivators, etc. that can help you learn more about yourself. Learning about your enneatype can help you improve your relationships, become more self-aware, and maximize your strengths.

As I mentioned earlier, I am an Enneagram 4, otherwise known as The Individualist or The Romantic. As the name would have you believe, we Fours have a need to be known and understood as individuals. There is a lot, and I mean A LOT, to study about each enneatype, so I thought I’d give you some quick facts about life as an Enneagram 4.

Our Primary Need Is to Be Unique

Because Fours are constantly striving to secure an authentic identity, we believe the only way to do that is by distinguishing ourselves from others. We Fours love to stand out from the crowd and establish ourselves as unique individuals.

We Value Authenticity Above Everything

Authenticity, both in ourselves and others, is crucial for Enneagram Fours. It’s important to us that we always try to put forth an honest and true image of ourselves, as well as seek it out in everyday life. When it comes to other people, we value authenticity in them just as much as we do in ourselves.

We Rely On Our Emotions—A Lot

I discovered a few years ago that I rely heavily on my emotions when making decisions, but little did I know that this is actually a tendency of Fours. Feeling our emotions so intensely has its ups and downs (just like our mood), though, because our identity is rooted in our feelings.

We Care Deeply About Beauty and Art

We love to find beauty in ordinary things, as well as in the offbeat and untraditional aspects of life. Our love for originality often shows through our hobbies, clothing, or decor, because we love to express ourselves in any way we can.

Now that I’ve told you a little bit about myself as an Enneagram Four, go out there and find your enneatype!

Elena is a friendly senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is currently majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. When she's not in class or napping, you can catch Elena working out at the gym, binge-watching medical dramas, or indulging her caffeine addiction at a local coffee shop.