3 Simple Ways to Make and Keep Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Friendship is an important part of life, whether you’re best friends with everyone or super close to only a handful of people. Making friends is also super easy and keeping them is even easier. In fact, it’s really quite simple to not be a sh*t friend.

1. Treat your friends how you want to be treated.

The golden rule is key. I repeat, THE GOLDEN RULE IS KEY! If you don’t appreciate when someone makes a jab at your insecurities or bails on you at the last minute, then guess what? Your bestie isn’t going to appreciate it either. Be the friend that you wish to have.

2. Share your secrets.

I mean maybe not all your secrets, but this is a good way to let your friends know that you trust her with your deepest secrets. If you want to lose a friend, the opposite strategy will work for that. A good way to push your friends away is to keep a wall up. This doesn’t mean they have to know everything about you. Find a balance between privacy and trust.

3. Treat your girlfriend like your girlfriend.

Okay, not literally. I’m not telling you to go make out with your best friend as a way to show her your love. That’s weird. But sending your best friend random snapchats, uplifting texts throughout the day, and surprising her with smoothies or coffee to make her day better is an easy, totally non-creepy act of kindness to keep your friendships strong.  

Elizabeth is a senior at UNCW majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in English.