The 2013 NC State Fair accident: What now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

A terrifying accident occurred on Oct. 24 at the North Carolina State Fair. Five people were seriously injured when a ride called the Vortex started back up again as riders were exiting. As of Oct 26, three of the victims remained hospitalized, some still in critical condition.

In a similar manner to past breaking news stories, rumors about this event immediately began circulating through social media and by word-of-mouth. At first, officials released minimal information about the cause of the ride’s malfunction in efforts to avoid speculation. More recently, information was released confirming that the ride’s operator has been arrested for tampering with the ride prior to the accident, possibly in order to keep it running.

This incident has, without a doubt, sparked fear in many individuals. It is particularly shocking when a traumatic event occurs in a setting that is special and familiar to so many people. The N.C. State Fair has been held at its current West Raleigh location since 1928. For many residents of North Carolina, the fair is both a tradition and a celebration of our state.

What happens when this long-loved event becomes the setting for a petrifying and sickening accident? How do we react? As a resident of Raleigh for over 20 years and as an avid fair-goer, I have found this news to be particularly perplexing. The accident hit even closer to home when I learned that a close friend of mine was an eye witness to the event. Like many other witnesses, my friend watched several victims fall from a height of 20-30 feet and then lie unconscious.

An accident like this is the kind of thing you wouldn’t expect to ever happen to you or someone that you know. I have heard several people refer to this event as “something from Final Destination.”

The feeling is this: the image of the fair’s blissful atmosphere is now replaced with visuals of the Vortex’s ugly yellow arm hydraulically lifting riders high in the air and spinning them upside down. An eerie fog is released, loud pop music plays and the swimsuit-clad cartoon people that make up the backdrop of the Vortex suddenly seem evil. It looks like a scene from a horror movie, but this time, it’s happening in real life.

I finally accepted that the nightmare-like images were going to stay in my head for a while. Instead of trying to forget what had happened, I busied myself with research. I talked to my friend and I scoured the internet to find all the information I could about what happened that night. The news tells us the facts about the accident, but where does this event leave ride-lovers and people who simply cherish the tradition of the fair?

My goal here is neither to defend fair rides nor to discourage people from continuing to ride them; rather, my intent is to reflect on the emotion this accident created and to provide further information on the safety of fair rides in general. Educating ourselves on this event may not affect our comprehension of it, but it can foster an insight on where we go from here.

What happened to the riders on the Vortex is rare. Despite this year’s accident, North Carolina is one of about only 17 states in the country that is known for regulating its amusement park rides. Although fair rides, like the Vortex, cause more injuries than more permanent theme park rides, North Carolina follows strict guidelines to ensure the safety of temporary rides. Rides of this nature are supposed to be checked three times a day for safety.

ABC News released information from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission revealing that 875 injuries occurred from amusement rides in 2012. A large number of those injuries were caused from inflatable rides and fun slides. That being said, life-threatening accidents occurring from high-action rides like the Vortex are pretty rare. The last accident at the N.C. State Fair occurred in 2002 when a ride operator fell into the path of a swinging pendulum-type ride. Research reveals that most ride-related injuries are caused by a safety compromise on behalf of riders or ride operators and not by a malfunction of the ride itself.

Do these facts ease our fears? Do they convince us that it is safe to continue seeking thrills from annual fair rides? We can listen to statistics about the safety of fair rides all day long and still feel afraid. This accident occurred in our state. Five people were subjected to unimaginable terror and pain from a contraption that is, ironically, supposed to provide fun. Someone I know personally and care about deeply was standing in line to get on that ride. It could have happened to any of us.

So, what now? For those of us who feel tied to this event, it can be hard to look at the fair atmosphere and rides in the same way that we used to. Others may forget that it happened. There are no right or wrong answers as to how we should respond. Be aware of the facts and let yourself decide.  

Jessica attempts to raise awareness of important issues and emphasize individuality through writing and art. She believes in exposing the uncomfortable and unfamiliar through her work in efforts to promote understanding and acceptance. A senior at UNCW, Jessica enjoys reading, painting, traveling, and spending as much time outside as she can.