20 and a Mom…a Dog Mom: Things to Know Before Bringing Home a Fur Baby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

We all know the overwhelming series of emotions when encountering a pup on the street or an adoption fair at PetSmart. First, it’s pure love. “Oh my goodness, the eyes, the floppy ears, the kisses!” Then…despair. “Wait, I have to leave you now…” The remedy for this is rare but does exist: get your own dog! However, there are many things to consider before bringing home a dog or puppy of your own. This article is for people who are considering adopting or purchasing a dog and how to make sure you and your little one are the best you can be for each other! 

Everyone is different when it comes to getting and taking care of a dog but here is my story and what I’ve learned in the past couple months. This is Khaleesi, my four and a half-month-old German Shepherd puppy and my actual daughter. She was given to me as a birthday gift by my mother in August this past year. I wanted a dog for a very long time but was forbidden to get one by my parents. When I visited home in August I was shocked to find out upon asking (again) that their answer had changed and drastically so. To this day I don’t know why they changed their minds but am happy they did. We sprang into action and two days later I found my very best friend. 

Step One: Should I Get a Dog? Lots of college kids get dogs and successfully raise them and some don’t. It is easy to picture someone who will always be there for you to lick your face and cuddle with you at night but the reality is a bit different. If you find yourself considering dog-mom life here’s what you should ask yourself: Do I have time for a dog? This is extremely important as dogs require a lot of time. Neglecting a dog is not only cruel but illegal and although one may not try to it isn’t impossible to do unintentionally. Make sure to think of the amount of time you travel, how much time you spend in class, and what extracurriculars may restrict your ability to properly care for a pup. Do I have enough money? No matter what you hear, if you are properly taking care of your dog, it’s expensive. Adoption fee, vet bills, good food, training, a kennel, toys, treats, a collar, a tag, a leash, doggie shampoo, a doggie bed, cleaning supplies, etc. It all costs money and adds up quickly. If you don’t have at least $1000 to spend in the first couple months you shouldn’t get a dog. Medical bills and other expenditures depend on the age and breed of the dog but supporting another life isn’t cheap and it’s not right to scrimp when it comes to the needs of another living thing. Am I Patient Enough? Lastly, it is important to honestly gauge your patience as a dog will 100% test that. It’s important when raising any un-trained dog to stay calm during training and training should be all the time if you are doing it right. 

Step Two: What kind of dog might be for me?  The main considerations here are money, time, and space. Do I want a puppy? You probably do but are you ready to be an actual mother? Raising a puppy is a lot like raising a child when it comes to time and patience. Things to consider are the effort of training at home, the cost of professional training (which I suggest 100%), housebreaking messes, puppy-proofing a house, costs of vet bills in the first year, and expected growth. If the puppy is going to grow immensely in the next year and a half (like Khaleesi has and continues to do) it may cost a bit more as your pup will outgrow many things! It’s completely worth it to get a puppy but may cost a bit more and require more effort than a dog. Do I want a big or small dog? If you want a big dog make sure you have space inside and out. if you don’t have an open backyard, factor in the time of bringing the dog to the park or going for lots of walks! Think about the other pets or people living with you. What temperament works for me? You should always meet the dog you are thinking of bringing home before deciding. If the dog seems hyper, consider the extra time it may take to train or noise. If the dog seems timid, think of potential stressors or attachment it may have to you. I knew Khaleesi was the one for me when I spent time with her! Adopted or bought, big or small this is the most important aspect of choosing your dog. The personality of your pup should be compatible with yours!

Step Three: Adoption or Purchase?  Before Khaleesi, I was very against purchasing an animal but finding a specific breed can be difficult when adopting! It is very rare that purebreds are available for adoption. If you are looking for a specific breed you should search the best you can but understand the low likelihood of availability. If you don’t mind a mixed breed pup, adoption is likely the way to go! There are many costs and benefits associated with each way but both have good results as long as the dog itself is right for you. Do I want to purchase a dog? Purchasing a dog can get pretty expensive depending on the breed and location. It is always wise to establish good contact with the breeder to ensure ethical practice and honesty. Khaleesi came from a local breeder in Cary, North Carolina who was very ethical and kind to his pups and their parents. He owned many German Shepherds throughout his life and decided to breed a few litters to support his daughter who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Both parents and their last puppy, Khaleesi, were very well taken care of and loved by their owner/breeder. This is extremely important! Be careful not to support an unethical breeder or fall for a scam. Improperly bred dogs can develop medical conditions and breeding can be a nasty business. Be sure to get a clean bill of health from the vet and talk to the breeder to absolutely ensure the health and happiness of the dogs under their care. Do I want to adopt? Adopting a dog is the route most go! This way is absolutely lovely as you are giving a dog a home that otherwise may not survive or live a very happy life. Research is the most important part of this process since you are not choosing the breed! 

If you find yourself fawning over a pup maybe this will help you take the next step to bring one home or make you feel a little bit better about walking away. Dogs are one of the best gifts of life! If you have the ability to get one I completely recommend it and you will have a potential play-mate here at UNCW! If you want to get a better picture of what life is like with a puppy you can follow Khaleesi’s Instagram (Khaleesi_theshep)!  

[Photos Courtesy of Kassie Reid] 

I'm a typical dog-loving, noodle-eating beach bum. When not writing for Her Campus, I can be found shoeless somewhere outside, painting at home, or singing out and about. Obsessed with my puppy Khaleesi, alfredo pasta, and The Shins.