danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15th Annual Dress for Success Fashion Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Do you need some tips and advice on applications or job interviews? Do you like Belk or White House | Black Market? Are you interestedin winning tickets to Jason Derulo? Then you should come to the 15th Annual Dress for Success Fashion Show put on by the UNCW COM Studies Society.

For many college student, the prospect of graduating and seeking ‘real-world’ jobs is terrifying. Not only do some students worry that they do not have leadership experience and resume bits to impress future employers, some do not even know how to dress to impress the interviewer. That is where the Communication Studies Society comes into play.

The COM Studies Society will be hosting their 15th Annual Dress for Success Fashion Show this Friday, March 24 at 12:15 PM in the Warwick Ballroom on campus. According to a press release from the organization, “Once [UNCW] students become seniors, important upper level classes, internships, and leadership positions are one of their last steps taken before entering the marketplace…Many find the job hunt process to be daunting, and some might say even fearful.” Because of this fear, this year’s theme for the show is based on NBC’s reality television series “Fear Factor,” in which two seniors go through professional challenges to get a job offer.

The coordinator of the event, UNCW senior Laura Rojas, explained that “As a senior, I understand the stress and uncertainty that the job search presents. I’m honored to work on the fashion show to encourage students to confidently take the steps they need to ensure their future after they graduate in May.”

Along with clothing being modeled from Belk at Independence Mall and from White House | Black Market, there will be a pre-recorded skit that gives viewers tips on applications and interview. Two seniors will battle it out for the opportunity to get the job and prove they have the chops to rock the application and interview process.

The press release stated that the challenge rounds between the two UNCW seniors in the fashion show skit include: “demonstrating networking skills, creating the perfect resume/portfolio, and making a positive impression during the interview.”

However, there will be more than just fashion and job interview tips; According to Rojas, they will also be giving away cool raffle prizes to attendees, like tickets to see Jason Derulo. This show is a part of COM Studies Day, which has multiple events and panels throughout the day.

For more information, check out visit www.uncw.edu/comstudiesday.

[Photo courtesy to Laura Rojas]

A junior at UNC Wilmington double majoring in English-Professional Writing and Communication Studies, Casey aspires to work in the field of journalism post-grad. Not only is she Co-Campus Correspondent, but she is also the Editor in Chief of her school's paper, is a writing tutor and has an obsession with early twentieth century American literature.