Nail That Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCO chapter.

Most of us are at that point, in our college careeres, when we need those summer internships. We have all the qualifications, but there is one thing that is missing… many of us suck at interviews. Here are a few tips on how to nail an interview, and spend the summer at your dream internship.

1. Dress according to the sex of the interviewer: You want to dress conservative and classy for any situation, but it makes a slight difference whether the interviewer is male or female. For a female, wear dress pants and a buttoned up shirt. It sends the message that you are there to work, and will not stir up any trouble in the work place. She will appreciate this because you will not be seen as a threat, and therefore, you will score brownie points. For a male, you should ALWAYS dress classy. You do not want to send the message that you are willing to do anything to get this internship. Although, there is more wiggle room to dress a little more fun. Now is the time to bust out that pencil skirt and suit jacket. Pair it with your favorite pair of heels and you will be good to go.

2. Shake their hand while looking them in the eye: As soon as you see them, give them a firm handshake and thank them for this opportunity. It will set you apart from the crowd because it shows that you are confident.

3. When they ask if you have any questions for them… the answer is always, YES: I find that when you ask them about themselves, it is a big conversation starter. They will get to know the real you, and that makes them feel comfortable hiring you. Ask them what they love most about their job, and what their goals for their company. These questions show off your loyalty to the company, and your interest in making it grow.

4. If they ask you what your weaknesses are, the answer is NONE: Ok, I know you can’t answer with nothing. So what you really want to say is that you tend to overwork yourself. It is a personal weakness that you “want to change” but they will most likely see it as a positive thing.

Remember, it is all about how you market yourself. I hope these tips help with the stickiest questions an interview has to offer. Keep calm, be confident, and be prepared! Always keep a smile on your face! Good luck!