Five natural and cost effective ways to deep condition your hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCO chapter.

Instead of spending an arm and a leg on hair care products, consider better and more natural treatments that you can find right in your kitchen. They are healthier for your hair, and you will not be breaking the bank. Take a look and be open-minded!

1. Mayonnaise: Ok so I know what you are thinking… gross right? Well for your information, Mayonnaise contains a number of natural oils that are better for your hair than chemicals. Apply Mayonnaise to your hair while it is still dirty and dry, leave it in for 45 minutes, and then wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Repeat this once a week!
  2. Coconut oil: So yes, it is self-explanatory. It smells nice, and it makes your hair grow faster and shine brighter! Massage this into your hair, leave it in for 30 minutes, and wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Repeat once a week.
  3. Olive oil: This is supposed to make your hair grow faster, and leave it strong and healthy. Massage into your hair, leave it in for 30 minutes, and wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Repeat once a week.
  4. Fish oil pills: These are supposed to make your hair grow faster as well. It also leaves it strong and shiny. Read the bottle for recommended doses.
  5. DON’T wash your hair: It is the most obvious and best answer. Washing your hair strips it of its natural oils which your hair needs to be healthy. Only wash it three times a week for about a month. It is enough so your hair won’t look greasy; yet washing it very other day gives your hair the break it needs.

Along with all of these treatments, consider not using hot ironing tools for a while. Heat causes hair to break, and therefore, it will become dry.  Also, always remember to use conditioner after shampooing. If you do not, your hair will be drier than it was before the treatment. This is because shampoo is designed to be used with conditioner, and if you skip it, you are harming your hair more than helping it. Hope this helps! Remember to be open-minded and have fun!