This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Summer is slowly coming upon us so I’m sure we all can’t wait to soak up the sun! And although some people may be planning their break going to DisneyWorld down in Florida, swimming in Hawaii, or walking the streets of California, some of us may just be staying in our little ol homes watching the sun from outside the window and working to pay off our school debt. Of course I do recommend enjoying the sun and maybe take a few weekend vacations, but of course you can always watch some of your favorite summer movies! These are my recommendations of what what you might like based on what you may have previously seen.  

1. If you like anything that has to do with mermaids, you’ll like Aquamarine (2006)

This is a cute family movie about two girls who discover that mermaids really do exist and they have to help the mermaid (Aquamarine) prove to her father that love exists.

2. If you like Princess Diaries, you’ll enjoy Anastasia (1997)

This was one of my favorite childhood movies to watch and I’d still watch it to this day! I like the fact how some parts of the movie are based on true events in history. If you don’t mind a few singing numbers from animated characters, this movie is right up your alley!

3. If you’re into suspenseful, supernatural movies, you might enjoy The Langoliers (1995)

Although this movie used to scare me when I was little, it’s more of a laughable movie for an older crowd who likes to make fun of thrilling movies. Just by watching the first 20 mins of it, you’ll be hooked to find out what happens next!

4. If you like Matilda, you will probably like Gifted (2017)

I haven’t gotten the chance to actually see this movie yet, but the trailer looks so darn cute! I thought of it like a newer version of Matilda but without the supernatural powers and an insane trunchbull.

5. If you like The Help, you will like The Secret Life of Bees (2008)

I watched this movie in my Film class this semester and I was blown away by Dakota Fanning’s major role in the movie. Both movies deal with racial inequality and will take you on an emotional journey of how life was like back in the 1960’s.

I hope you all have a chance to watch one of these movies even though we are heading into exams week! Maybe watch one for a study break, because if you need something else to think about besides school, one of these movies will do just the trick! Hope you all have an amazing summer and a great end of the school year!