Writing Tips for the Struggle Essay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Essays, Essays, Essays! Either you love them or you hate them, but everyone has that one essay that they struggle to write. Whether it be that you don’t understand the assignment, you waited until the last minute, or you are just not in a writing mood, some essays can be a struggle to complete. So, with this in mind, I thought a list should be compiled of helpful tabs and features to use when the struggle is real trying to complete an essay.

Tool 1: The Assignment Sheet

I know, it seems silly, but having the assignment sheet in front of you when you don’t know what to write can be very helpful.

It is helpful because the prompt:

• Gives you the main point you are trying to argue

• Can be broken down to try and brainstorm different approaches for the essay

• Also gives the basic guidelines to the format of the paper like, spacing, citations, etc

Tool 2: Transition Words Sheet

So, again this tool may seem elementary, but when you are stuck writing sometimes you need inspiration of a transition word to start your next paragraph.

Transition words do not go away in college and just in case you need a refresher, examples of transition words and phrases are:

• next

• finally

• first

• second

• third

• in addition to

Having variety of transition words is key, because in an essay every paragraph should not be started the same way. Throw some variety in there!

Tool 3: The Thesaurus

In the same manner as the transition word sheet (see what I did there, I used a transition phrase “In the same manner” :) ), using the thesaurus tool in word comes in handy as well. Just like your teacher probably taught you in middle school, using the word “like,” is not really the best example term to utilize in your paper. Or, if you have another word such as “say” that you use at extreme amounts, it can become a little boring considering there is other terminology. Using a thesaurus helps spice up the paper by providing synonyms to overused words. Having a variety of synonyms to express the same thing is vital, because you can say the same word, without saying the same word.

Hopefully, some of these tools will help when you are struggling. Good luck writing!

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.