Why You Don’t Need a Date for Date Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

“How long’s it been since you last had a date?” –  someone who doesn’t get it.

It’s basically the passive (still kind of aggressive, in my opinion) way to ask, “How long have you been single?” Well. Why do you feel the need to ask? Do I look like I need a date?

Let’s backtrack a little bit. Why does a “date” translate over to a significant other? It. Shouldn’t. You don’t need any other excuse to go out other than to treat yourself, am I right? It’s been a long semester. You’re worth it, and you don’t need a “special someone” to take you out and tell you that.

So, ditch the lovey-dovey “date night” and have a date night with someone who gets it. Your best friend, your roommate, someone single who doesn’t need all that significant-other-mushy-stuff. Spend some time getting all dolled up, buy something you usually wouldn’t, go check out that restaurant you’ve been dying to go to. Don’t wait on a hand to hold or someone to buy you flowers- make your own date night and enjoy going out for you!

P.S. – If you have a significant other, I’m not discrediting you in any way. It’s great! Just make sure to let other people enjoy their single-ness :)