The Top Five Movies for 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

1. Zootopia

Rated PG (for some thematic elements, rude humor and action) this action & adventure, animation, and comedy is perfect for the family. Directed by Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Jared Bush and written by Jared Bush, and Phil Johnston. It came to theaters Mar 4, 2016  and on DVD June 6, 2016. Zootopia made $341,264,012.00 at the box office. This movie is 108 minutes of thoughtful and funny entertainment created by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

2. Hell or High Water

Rated R (for some strong violence, language throughout and brief sexuality) this drama offers a solidly crafted, well-acted Western heist thriller that had a confident pacing and full-bodied characters. It was directed by David Mackenzie and written by Taylor Sheridan. The film came to theaters on Aug 12, 2016, this movie made $26,749,794.00 at the box office. Hell or High Water is only 102 minutes long and was filmed at Film 44.

3. The Jungle Book

Rated PG (for some sequences of scary action and peril) this action & adventure, kids & family movie is the rare remake that actually improves upon its prior Disney make. It was directed by Jon Favreau and written by Justin Marks. It came to theater on Apr 15, 2016 and DVD on Aug 29, 2016. At the box office The Jungle Book made $363,995,937.00. Running time at 111 minutes and created at Walt Disney Pictures.

4. Love & Friendship

Rated PG (for some thematic elements) this drama is a Jane Austen adaptation that is thoroughly delightful. Directed and written by Whit Stillman, it hit theaters May 13, 2016 and Sep 5, 2016 it came on DVD. Love & Friendship made $14,013,564.00 at the box office. This movie is only 94 minutes and was filmed at Westerly Films.

5. Finding Dory

Rated PG (for mild thematic elements) this family friendly animation is funny, touching, and thought-provoking. Finding Dory delivers a beautifully animated adventure that adds another entertaining chapter to its predecessor’s classic story. It was directed by Andrew Stanton and Angus MacLane and written by Andrew Stanton and Victoria Strouse. The film came to theaters June 17, 2016 and on DVD Nov 14, 2016. Finding Dory made $485,699,115.00 at the box office. 100 minutes of true joy created by Walt Disney Pictures/PIXAR.

Source

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.